Canadian getting ready to marry U.S. Citizen

McPheever

Registered Users (C)
Ok, we've been together for over 3 years. I'm currently in the US visiting (been here for a month), but we're planning on getting married the end of January. Then he'll apply for my greencard in Feburary. I'm just kinda worried because from reading on here during the interview they ask for lease, bank statements and other proof that's we're living together.

From what I understand I won't have a SSN until after the greencard is approved. Without an SSN I can't have my name on a lease or a joint bank account. Is this correct??? If so, is there any other evidence that can be used to prove it.

Thanks!

I put my husband's name on my credit cards. He's Canadian. Also at my bank, my husband was able to be put on my account without a SS number. He just had to complete some type of IRS form. I also put my husband's name on my other bills such as utilities and cell phone bill. Those will help too.

You will be able to put your name on Bank Account and Credit cards as Sapphie mentioned along with cell phones. Alternatively your husband can apply for your Taxpayer Id Number, however I dont think that would be necessary.

You will be able to get your SSN after you get your EAD, which is almost all cases will happen before your AOS interview. So you should be able to get a SSN and have all the documents before the interview. You can also explain to the officer why you did not have the documents if you were not able to get it.

You will be issued an SSN if you get an EAD during the adjudication of your I-485. You do not need GC status to get an SSN.

McPheever said:
From what I understand I won't have a SSN until after the greencard is approved.

Last edited by a moderator: