Canadian getting married in the US without a visa?

Chrisma7

Hi,

This is my situation, my fiancee is from washington state and i am from british columbia, we are planning on getting married on her side of the border and then start the green process. My question can i enter the states as I usually do and get married without a k1 visa?
So reason for that is because i want to remain in Canada till i get a green card, and only then move to the states, so i can continue on working.
I live right at the border and so does she.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

So i can legally marry in the states without a k1 as long as I dont stay in the US.

Don't you have to be in the US to apply for a green card?

If I get married in the Us and then go back to Canada, which visa should we apply for to get permanent residency? Immigration visa?

How hard would it be for me to cross the border back and forth every weekend as I currently do once my status is pending?

Thanks!

Im asking because there is an article on alllaw.com that states it constitutes a visa fraud to get married in the states while entering the US as a tourist....so it has got me a little confused

Im asking because there is an article on alllaw.com that states it constitutes a visa fraud to get married in the states while entering the US as a tourist....so it has got me a little confused
It’s only fraud if you enter as a tourist and then stay after you get married. Many people get married as tourists, think Vegas, Hawaii etc. as long as you return to Canada and then apply for the cr1 visa from there you’re fine.

It constitutes visa fraud to stay (and not return home) after marrying in the US as a tourist.
Coming to the US to marry is completely legit.

Totally fine. My partner and I did this, and she returned to her country. Though, she wasn't planning on moving to the US. It was the other way around :)