Canadian coming in USA for 2 six months period in a row !

seblavoie

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

I am in USA under a TN Visa for 1 year. My girlfriend is here with me like a tourist. She has to go back in Canada before the end of a 6 months period since her arrival. She will get back in Canada soon for a 2 weeks and then she is planning to come back here. My question is, do you think she will have any problem to cross the boarder while she just done a 5 months period in the USA? Do the USA know exactly how long she has been here? As Canadian, they don't stamp our passport when we crossed the boarder. Also, when she will come back, she will have a round trip by plane with 2 weeks interval, but we are planning to cancel the way back home when she will be here, so the custom officer will think she is coming back in 2 weeks. Is this a good idea? Anybody as try to come in USA for 2 six months in a row as toursit ?

Thanks for all your advice,

Seb

Seb,
It is true that Canadian passports are very seldomly stamped upon entry and there is no exit control. So theoritically your GF can leave just before her 6 months are up, spend 2 weeks in Canada and then return back for another 6 months. However there is always a risk. If by chance she is asked about her last visit to the US, telling the truth will surely invoke a grilling. Not telling the truth is even worse, since she is risking bans for misrepresentation (if caught). You both have several options of ensuring you two do not live apart, but right now you are contemplating the easiest (and riskiest) option. In my personal opinion, don't do it. However it is your choice at the end of the day, not mine or anyone else's.