Canadian Citizenship & H1B

Status
Not open for further replies.
" Do you have any experience of canadian citizen getting visa stamp at potrt of entry??????
"

Haha, this is funny. Yes canadians get the visa stamp at port of entry because unlike us desis, *canadians* dont vie for H1, they usually work on TN, and TN is stamped at the border :)

To an average john doe canadian, US visa = TN while to us it's H1 :)

The guy was right re: TN and your confusion is justified too since H1 is through the consulate as we know.

No need to go the consulate if you are a CDN citizen. This applies to all the visas (F1,H1,L1 etc). TN is issued at the border and it's a status. You need to pay $56 and get an offer letter from the company. The chances of TN rejection is bit high if you have a slam dunk combination of your degree and job. H1B is a sure shot and you can get it stamped in the border.
You can go to www.grasmick.com to know more about TN discussions.

Raj is right and Priya is wrong....I have held both H1 and TN status and it is confirmed that cdns (desi/cdn by birth does not matter) do not need ANY visa stamps in their cdn passport..

potential citizen with H1B

Yes I am in the same situation. I live in Windsor and work in US. I commute daily between US and Canada. I have a H1B on my Indian passport. I will be getting my citizenship next week. My current H1 (the one which visa is attahced to my indian passport) is expiring this Jun '06. I have already recceived my renewal (I have my I-797 from Jun '06 to Jun '09) I-797. What I see from all your emails, is that I don't need to go to Toronto to get my visa stamped. With my citizenship card and I-797, I can cross the border everyday, right?... Can you confirm that the above still holds good and is correct?... ANy updates or changes?....
My second question is, I am a little bit concerned as I deal with the immigration officers everyday, and different officers have different views, is there any official website or US immigration/customs site that would have this information. I can always tell them that I got the information from their site, in case someone gives me trouble.
Thanks for your help and all your information was very useful. I was trying to get this info. for a long time..

citizenship and H1b

I completed 3 yrs in canada and applied for my citizenship. within 2 months, we moved to US as my husband got a offer and right now i am in TD status. i applied for h1B in this april 2006 and its in process. Unexpectedly i got my citizenship test very soon and this august 8th i have an appointment for oath.
I am really confused now. if i take the citizenship and apply canadian passport, what will happen to my h1b which is in process.
will i be able to come back in my indian passport on the same day after oath. if i have to apply canadian passport, how should i apply-which form should i use? canadians living inside or canadian passport for people living in US......
please do guide me.....its very urgent......immediate response expected......
Thanks a lot in advance

Do not worry - follow these directions and you will be fine..

1. Nothing will happen to your H1b after getting cdn citizenship. Your citizenship status will NOT affect H1B.

2. After getting cdn citizenship, DO NOT cross the border on Indian passport - you are not supposed to be using the Indian passport after becoming cdn. Instead of going on and on, on this topic, I would advise you to use cdn passport to cross back into the US, to avoid future problems.

3. Immediately after taking an oath, you *might not* be able to get cdn passport within 24 hrs. (99%) (It requires confirmed return ticket and still it is not guaranteed - since it depends on the passport office people to judge the situation). Therefore, use the form for Canadians living in Canada, apply for a passport personally and use the option to get the passport in 48 hrs. You pay cdn$35 fee in addition to the normal fee, but it's worth! (Use cdn address on it. If you give the US address, you will not be able to use the form and it will open another door for hassles)

4. They will ask you to pick up the passport personally after 48 hrs. Get the passport and travel to the US as a CDN. If asked about it by the USCIS, answer truthfully that u r not Indian any more and you recently got ur cdn citizenship. What they *might* do is just change the COS on your I-94 from India to Canada OR issue you a new I-94 that has your cdn citizenship record OR they might allow you to proceed using the same I-94.

Good luck!

sangeevijayan said:
I completed 3 yrs in canada and applied for my citizenship. within 2 months, we moved to US as my husband got a offer and right now i am in TD status. i applied for h1B in this april 2006 and its in process. Unexpectedly i got my citizenship test very soon and this august 8th i have an appointment for oath.
I am really confused now. if i take the citizenship and apply canadian passport, what will happen to my h1b which is in process.
will i be able to come back in my indian passport on the same day after oath. if i have to apply canadian passport, how should i apply-which form should i use? canadians living inside or canadian passport for people living in US..

So if one gets his petition approved on his Indian passport and gets a canadian passport (before getting the H1B stamped on the Indian passport) can go straight to the border with the papers and get H1B stamped on his Canadian passport?

iit123 said:
So if one gets his petition approved on his Indian passport and gets a canadian passport (before getting the H1B stamped on the Indian passport) can go straight to the border with the papers and get H1B stamped on his Canadian passport?

Yes, you may go to the border. But before doing that, inform your company and the lawyer who gave you the H1, about the change in the citizenship. They might give you some additional advice..

I am a canadian citizen working is the US under TN-status, which recently expired. Starting on my new job in August and till then I will be traveling overseas (not in Canada). My new employer is filing for H1b visa with premium processing. Upon approval of the H1b, do I need to enter the US through Canada or can I fly directly from my traveling destination?

Canadian Citizen working in USA on H1B Return back from India Need Help please

I am a Canadian Citizen working on H1B Status in USA, I want to travel to India for a vacation about 3 weeks and fly back to USA on H1B status. Where Canadian Citizen are exempted for Visa Stamping, On my return back to USA I have only I797. Do I have to require a visa stamping or do I need travel from Canada to India or If I Can travel from USA and return back from India to USA with I797 does that cause any Problems? Experts please advise, Thanks in Advance.

Regards
Raja Venkata

Status
Not open for further replies.