Canadian citizen on H-4 visa

wemiwemi

Hi, I currently hold Korean citizenship (passport) and soon will receive my Canadian citizenship. I plan to visit Korea this summer with my Korean passport as well as my current I979A approval notice (which indicates my citizenship as “Korea” as I was Korean citizen at the time of applying H-4 status).
Then I will come back to the US, and will visit Canada to receive my Canadian passport then plan to come back to US using my Canadian passport. Can I enter the US with my Canadian passport and my current I979A notice approval (even if it indicate my citizenship as “Korea”)??

Any extensions or changes of status apply to that stay only. Once you leave the US, your status ends, and your I-797A is not relevant to your future entries (except to show that you were not out of status).

If you were hypothetically entering on your Korean passport, you would have sought entry on the basis of your Korean passport and valid H4 visa (and optionally your spouse's H1b petition approval, if that would give you a longer stay) to be admitted into H4 status.

Since you will be entering on your Canadian passport, you would seek entry on the basis of your Canadian passport and your spouse's H1b petition approval, to be admitted into H4 status.

Any extensions or changes of status apply to that stay only. Once you leave the US, your status ends, and your I-797A is not relevant to your future entries (except to show that you were not out of status).

If you were hypothetically entering on your Korean passport, you would have sought entry on the basis of your Korean passport and valid H4 visa (and optionally your spouse's H1b petition approval, if that would give you a longer stay) to be admitted into H4 status.

Since you will be entering on your Canadian passport, you would seek entry on the basis of your Canadian passport and your spouse's H1b petition approval, to be admitted into H4 status.
I am not sure if I have understood you correctly.
Yet, my I797A approval notice is valid until 2024. And my husband and I will also get our visa stamping when in Korea this summer.
My question is whether if I could use that I797A approval notice with my Canadian passport which I will get after I come back from Korea. Hope this makes sense!

What I mean is that your I-797A is not used for your re-entry no matter if you enter using a Korean or Canadian passport. Your I-797A is the approval of an Extension of Stay or Change of Status, and that matters only for this stay.