Canadian Citizen - Applying for New TN Visa

debargha.lodh

Hello,

I am Canadian Citizen into the software field and my US employer is offering me with US Employment letter which I will be using to apply for for TN Status. I am planning to apply TN Status online. Can anyone here guide me in regards to Dos and Don't while filling it.

I will be applying TD status for my spouse and 9 year old son. Is there anything that I need to take care for my son schooling in US based Public schools (will there be any cost for TD status students for schooling).

Also down the line, while on TN Status, if my employer agrees to sponsor my green card, is that a possibility to transfer from my TN Status to a Green Card ?

>>my US employer is offering me with US Employment letter which I will be using to apply for for TN Status.
- Make sure that this is a "TN Letter" - that is specifically drafted to support your application for TN (and not just any US employment letter)

>>I am planning to apply TN Status online. Can anyone here guide me in regards to Dos and Don't while filling
- If you mean filing I-129, then your employer has to file it for you.
- https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-the-united-states/temporary-workers/tn-nafta-professionals

>>Is there anything that I need to take care for my son schooling in US based Public schools (will there be any cost for TD status students for >>schooling).
- No (and No.)

>>while on TN Status, if my employer agrees to sponsor my green card, is that a possibility to transfer from my TN Status to a Green >>Card
- You cannot "transfer from TN to Green Card". But yes, you can start the GC process while on TN. There is a separate thread regarding this topic by curiousgeorge on this forum.

Much appreciated for taking time and replying back.

Is there any specific TN letter format that I should convey my employer to draft or it's something that they should generally state that they are supporting my TN Status ?

My employer have asked me to file for my TN status. I am doing it online by filling up "DS-160". Am I on the right track.

I meant if my Employer can file for my Green Card while I am on TN Status. I saw the following information which says the employer can file (sponsor) "I-140" on behalf of the employee.

Since I am new into this process, wanted to know what documents etc. I need to get ready for the TN status.

Last edited:
Your TN letter is different than your offer letter. The most important things your TN letter should have is your (TN) Job Title - which is different than your company/internal job title and your job duties (that must be related to your educational qualification - i.e. degree). You can google TN job letter to find details about it.

Clearly, your employer is unaware of the TN process (since they have asked "you" to "file" for TN status). You do NOT use form DS160 - which is for nonimmigrant visa application. Canadians do NOT need consular visa and hence you will not use/need DS160. You clearly need to "change track". Since neither you nor your employer are aware of filing petition for TN, your best bet would be to apply in person with appropriate documents (your TN letter and your relevant diploma/degree certificate).

At this stage, focus on getting TN; learning "GC from TN" is a different topic that should be discussed after getting TN.

I will definitely look for TN Letter online.

Thanks for throwing some light here. I have my Degree Original certificates which I will bring along with other docs for in person application.
Can you confirm, where I should be heading for my in person TN Application.

You're correct, I will explore my GC application once I get my TN approved.

If your degree is from outside US/Canada, look into getting it evaluated first (US degree equivalency). For TN, you can go to any POE (land border) or PFI (any airport where they have US immigration).

Yes, I did my bachelor and masters degree from outside. For my Canadian PR I used WES for my education credential assessment. Do I need to do that again ?

I am not sure about this since I never had to use WES. Your credentials used for Canadian PR could be different than this time - since this is for US educational equivalency. Just my thoughts!

Your Foreign degree(s) need to be specifically evaluated against US education standards; your WES eval for Cdn standards is not valid for US immigration purposes. WES can still do this.

Debra, message me separately if you need any advice. I think you are missing a lot of points here as suggested by Nelsona

1) Preferably get your education evaluation done from any of the members of https://www.naces.org/. I did mine from https://myiee.org/. TN officers in the border need to ensure that your degree back home has a equivalency to US standards.

2) You need to decide if you are going as "Computer System Analyst" or "Management Consultant" if you are looking into IT opportunities. Your TB letter needs to be drafted accordingly.

3) Nowadays POE's need appointments...you cannot just walk in.