Canada vs Mexico? where to go for visa stamp?

phytoqueen

Registered Users (C)
Now I'll need to go to Canada or Mexico for my J1 visa stamp.
I have gone to Canada before this matter, but next 8weeks schedules at any consulates in Canada are fully BOOKED!!
Very frustrated....

I think I'll need to go to Mexico then because I don't have enough time to wait for Canada opening.

Has anyone gone to Mexico US consulate for visa stamp?
My concern is...
The USCIS 'estimated visa wait time' indicates that the processing time will be more than 20 days at any Mexico consulates!!
Is that true??
THen do I need to stay there for 20-30 days??? :eek:

Now I'll need to go to Canada or Mexico for my J1 visa stamp.
I have gone to Canada before this matter, but next 8weeks schedules at any consulates in Canada are fully BOOKED!!
Very frustrated....

I think I'll need to go to Mexico then because I don't have enough time to wait for Canada opening.

Has anyone gone to Mexico US consulate for visa stamp?
My concern is...
The USCIS 'estimated visa wait time' indicates that the processing time will be more than 20 days at any Mexico consulates!!
Is that true??
THen do I need to stay there for 20-30 days??? :eek:

Consulate at Matamoros Mexico gives back the passport with new visa stamp the same afternoon. And at most border consulate posts you will get your passport same day unless there is some major issue/problem. Go to mexico, get your visa stamped and later enjoy margarita till you come back to usa.

Thank you.
Unfortunately, every US consulate in Mexico are fully booked until middle of September!!
I need to get an visa appointment ASAP.

Has anyone gone to another nearby countries for visa stamp?
Please recommend any countries if you have experience.

Do you need to travel for which you need the visa stamp? If so then why don't you check out the US embassy in the country you are visiting?

In case you do not need to leave the US, then the J1 visa stamp should not be an urgency, you need valid status to stay in the Us, the date on the stamp is not important.

i was under the impression that one has to go to home country for J1 stamp. has that rule changed?

You don't need to go to home country for J1 stamp. As far as I know that has never been the case for J1 stamp.

I'm sure that every type of visa has different waiting times in Mexico, but when i was there... i call to get a J-1 Visa appointment and it took me 30 witting days but you can still wait in the US. then once i got the visa interview i got my visa printed the same day.
Hope this helps