Canada visit on GC-stamping.

Sky_Drow

Registered Users (C)
Gurus,

For me and my family have I-551 stamping in passport which I hope is quite enough to visit Canada and come back into US. we are travelling by our own car.

My mother who is 74 years old is here on a visitor's visa authorized to stay till Sep 2004 according to her I-94 card.

Question is, Do I get her visit visa first or go to border and then get her the visa. I dont even know if the option of getting visa at border is available.

Need some dos and donts from Gurus..

And doesn't she need a visa to come back? - unless her visa (not the I-94) is still valid by the time you travel..

We just came back from Canada. At the border, it didn't seem like they were issuing visitors visa. The easiest way will be to get her visa from a counsulate. Send them the paperworks/passport, and also a FedEx pre-paid envelope to send the material back -- it will take only a week.

Have a safe trip.

Thanx friends...

Jan485, Her visitor's visa is multiple entry valid for 10 Years.

Anybody have gone to canadian consulate office in NY ?

if yes, Please share some experience. I may need to take my mother.

I think we get canadian visit visa on the same day.

canadian consulate in NY

I work opposite to Canadian consulate in New york. I see people lined up outside the building. Usually they allow about 50 people at a time. The cycle could be around an hour or so. If you reach before 8:30 you will get everything done before noon. Address is corner of 6th Avenue and 50th.

Thanx rajudm, Does Cosulate building has its own car parking for us...

How long people usually stay in the line ?

Sky_Drow,

welcome to new york.
nobody has parking for no one here.

(however you can get paid parking around the place)

Canadian visit visa

The lineup starts really early - so even though they open their doors around 8:30, its a good idea to get there around 8am. They will only allow one person in - so if its your m-i-l asking for the visa, they will only let her in - not you, nor your spouse. You can explain her situation in an accompanying letter, but they won't let you in. Parking around that area is about $25+ for the full day (I think there is one about five blocks up which has a max day rate of $15 something - but you have to look around for these).

There is a coffee-shop (Au bon pain I think) in the same building where you can wait - but it gets mighty boring. Her interview will probably be at 12, but she will have to wait inside the four hours (and everyone else outside). Also, they will ask you to come back around 3:30 for the passport - you can't get it before then. So you might want to start checking to see what museums are open around 8:30 in the morning for the rest of you!

After having gone through this three times, I now mail in my visitor visa applications. One other thing you need to be aware of - in most cases, the visitor visa will be for 3 months - but for your m-i-l, it probably won't matter. Also, if you are just travelling between Canada and US by road, then there is no difference between the Canadian single entry visa and multiple entry visa - they will let you in again.

Hope this helps,
DG

DesiG, Thank you so much for sharing your advice. Now I feel like using mail facility rather than going. But I dont know if I call and say them that candidate is handicapped and sit on a wheel chair. they might probably allow me inside with my mother. Dont know....

Thanks again.

They let me go inside with my mother, as my mother doesn't speak english very good. I am talking about Dec 03, things might have changed now.

Fira,

if you dont mind, Can you please describe your experience once you are in.

Does the building have parking or do we have to find our own ?

Friends,

I have sent Application form and all other related documents with original passport to Canadian consulate in NY for Temp. visit visa to Canada for my mother. However, I didnt send Original I-94 Card which was one of the top requirement to get a canadian visit visa since original I-94 card was submitted to USCIS when I extended her stay for another Six months.

I submitted copy of Approval Notice of Extension from USCIS. I submitted this application about a week back with a return addressed cover but so far no reply.

My question. Is it a problem for not sending Original I-94 Card and is there any way I can find the status of this application. Anybody share the experience please...

Question - Extending I-94 for my parents by visiting Canada

Hi

I want to extend the stay of my parents by one month. They have 10 yr multiple entry. If I get canadian Visa and visit canada come back to US. Do they extend I-94 that way?

Thanks

vkml said:
Hi

I want to extend the stay of my parents by one month. They have 10 yr multiple entry. If I get canadian Visa and visit canada come back to US. Do they extend I-94 that way?

Thanks

That is the idea I suggested for one of my friend. But while going to Canada They will not take your I-94 unless you are going stay for more then one month.

Instead they went to Mexico and stayed for three days while coming back his mother came with another extension of six months.

Guys,

Little update on this topic. I got canadian single entry visa for my mother which I had sent by post. We had extended her stay in US for more 6 months. I had sent the copy of extended approval notice along with the other required documents to canadian consulate in NY. Received visa in 10 days by mail.

At the immigration boarder. they just check the visa and approval notice. thats it. No stamp and no entry at all....For visitor's I think they dont take I-94 Card.

Sky_Drow said:
Guys,

Little update on this topic. I got canadian single entry visa for my mother which I had sent by post.

You may be knowing this already. Incase not single entry visa is actually single port entry. You can use this single entry visa multiple times to visit Canada from United states within the expiry period.

Is GC Passport stamping is enough to go to Canada or Do we need the GC Physical card

I am going to get my passport stamped this week for GC, is that enough to go to Canada? Do we need physical card for it?

thanks
vkml

Last edited by a moderator: