Canada consulates honoring appointments. I94 still valid at borders..

deikemper

Registered Users (C)
I called the canadian consulate\'s 1-900 number and an attendant there said despite the Department Of State website posting that all appointments for Canadian embassies are cancelled, appointments made for stamping at Canadian consulates before the 16th of Nov. are being honored. Infact he re-confirmed my appointment for Dec. 4 while I was on the line. He said if the consulate cancels an appointment, they\'ll inform you by telephone.

He also said that anyone travelling should get their I-94s stamped upon leaving the U.S. and upon arrival in Canada. He said that should be able to get you back in the country within 30 days if the visa is not stamped as that rule has not YET changed.

I\'m supposed to fly out on Friday, but I\'ll continue to check with my attorney, DOS and the consulate before I make my decision to go to Canda or not.

Did he say that you\'ll get another appointment re-confirmation letter.....

Hi,

I was wondering if the attendant at the consulate said anything about appointment re-confirmation letters being mailed out. The problem I am facing is that the Canadian embassy says that they want a letter dated after the 19th for them to give me the Tourist visa - she said that they will mail out new appointment letters. Please advise.
Thanks

No Title

There was no mention of any re-confirmation letter. He just pulled up my information in the system and confirmed for me over the phone.
Where are you now? Did they say the letter was for vistors visas only or for all types? I\'m going for an H-1B.
Call one of these numbers 1-900-451-2778 from Canada or1-900-443-3131 from within the U.S. Have your appointment reference number ready. The call is free now. I was only on hold for a minute or two. Ask any questions you want about the letter and appointments and please share whatever they tell you.

I am going for H1 too but............

Hi there,
Actually I have not been able to obtain the Tourist visa to Canada so that I can go thru with my appointment on Dec 3rd. The Canadian Embassy in DC said that they cannot give me tourist visa till I have the appointment letter from the US Consulate dated after the 19th. The mistake I made was that I mentioned on teh Tourist visa application that my purpose of visit to Canada was to get the multile entry. Also, my visa (F1) has expired and I am at the end of my OPT period (that was the reason I wrote the actual intent. I made the appointment 1st week of November and got the appointment letter around Nov 14th. The Canadians want a new letter to give me the visa to visit Canada. They will not listen to any arguments about the telephonic conversation. Do let me know what you think. I will certainly call everybody concerned and update you and the rest about what I learned.

No Title

You are in a rather difficult situation. Try calling the 1-900 #, explain the situation and ask them to fax you a written reconfirmation of your appointment, maybe that might help. Fortunatley for me, citizens of my country don\'t require visas to go to Canada so that\'s one less hurdle. I really hope it works out for you. Can you go somewhere else to get the visitors or maybe your attorney can advise... Keep us informed.

FAX will work

neeraj, i got my candian visa day after thanks giving from detroit consulate. there i had the same problem. They told me to ask the US toronto consulate (where i am headed for my h1 stamping) to fax the appointment letter to their fax number. I called the consulate and they faxed it in an hour. As the fax came after nov 19 and was from the US consulate they issued me the canadian visa. Try that in DC.

Thanks Rahul

Hi,

Thanks for the information - did you by any chance check whether we are allowed re-entry in the event of not getting the multiple entry. The statement by DOS - kind of states that they will not allow re-entry to NIV\'s as it used to be (ie the 30 day period). Now this may be only for the 26 countries in their watch list - but they do not state that and could apply to everybody. Also, does the fax have to go to the Canadian embassy - can have the consulate fax me the letter and I take it to them. Please do let me know the answer to the above - if you are aware of this critical info.
Thanks again.

No Title

Hi Diekemper,

You mentioned abt the I-94 being stamped, where exactly it be stamped? I have an appointment for my H-1B visa stamping in Toronto on Dec-20 and I am planning to take Amtrak. Pls advise

Thanks
satya

H1 visa

Hey neeraj, I am planning to go to vancouver for my h1 visa in decemeber , if anybody knows how thnigs are there plz let me know. or is it a good time to go in december?

No Title

the attendant said I should get the i-94 stamped at the airport upon depature from the U.S. and at the Canadian airport upon arrival. This is so that if the visa is not stamped, we can show that we were not in Canada for more than 30 days and we\'ll be allowed to re-enter the U.S. My lawyer also told me last night that 1-94s are still being accepted at the borders, but these things change daily so keep checking if you plan to travel.

Who do I call or fax to check whether my appointment is still valid...

Hi,

Who do I call or fax to check whether my appointment is still valid and whether they can fax me a copy of the letter. The Canadian Embassy is demanding a letter with a date after the 19th of Nov and my letter is dated before that. I must get this to get the Canadian Visa. Their appointment numbers ( 1 900 -----) have all been taken off - no one to talk to - just the message. Please advise.

No Title

I spoke to American Consulate at Toronto abt new appointment letter issued after 19 Nov. They are not aware of any such rules. However, if you want to call them you can do so at: 416-595-1700. Once you start getting options press 0.

Satyajit

NIVs and what not

I just had a thought - might be silly, but here goes...

I haven\'t yet found a posting from someone who actually got a visa (H1B) stamped on their passport after 11/16. All the discussions are abot the actual appointments themselves. I have confirmation from the embassy/consulate (Ottawa, in my case) about the fact that the appointment will be honored. However, I believe that the DOS has not made any new policies about honoring existing appointments - that is up to the discretion of the consulate.

Importantly, the DOS\'s decision is not to issue NIVs for TCNs in Canada/Mexico anymore (temporarily, whatever!). So, the appt might be honored, but do we know if the consulates in Canada are actually stamping the visas or not? I know it would not make too much sense if the appointments were kept with the intention of denying the visa, but then again, which govt. decision has to be sensible?

Anybody got a stamp after 11/16? Please post if you have.

thx -> K

Hello Deikemper

Hi there, I am going to Vancouver on dec 6 for h1b stamping, please give me ur email adresss so that i contact you for more details,
Thanks,
malik

No Title

Hi Malik, because of the nature of my job I\'d prefer not to post my e-mail address on a public message board. If it\'s not a problem for you, can post yours and I\'ll e-mail you privately with my info. I really hope things work out for you. I\'m leaving Sat. for my Tuesday Appt. in Toronto I\'ll be happy to e-mail details (good or bad) Tuesday night to help you prepare.

hey neeraj

hey,
  i have a proble.My visa expires in feb 2002 but my I-94 says D/S so I am in status here.I thought I would got o mexico or canada to get my visa stamped but now the embassies are closed.
Do u know if they are still taking appointments.
could u email me at a_badgi@hotmail.com
I would appreciate it.
thanks
anu

No Title

This I found on this same forum:

"Got H1-B stamp in Vancouver, CA" 11/29/01 10:03am

What is I94 stamping?

Could you please explain more detail about I94 stamping and getting back
to USA even if the visa stamping denied. Is this applicable for one who still
has valid entry visa? In my case the entry visa is expired a year ago and can i
come back if rejected?