can you travel while n400 is in process?

dsmportal

Registered Users (C)
just curious to know, is it okay to travel (Canada) for one week while your N400 is in process, is there any problem or anything if traveled ?

Thanks

Yes, you can travel during this time. Do keep an accurate record of your days outside the US. You would need to update the IO with this information during your interview.

Good luck.

Sammy

GC ofcourse

oh i forgot to ask, you can travel to Canada with GC ? correct? or do i need Visa for that? :confused:

Why would you need a visa ? Remember you are still a US perm resident until the day of the oath when they will ask you to surrender your GC and hand you your citizenship certificate. Don't loose that GC. That's the only thing you have that will get you in & out of the country until the day of your oath.

I agree with Atlanta Brother. All you need is your green card and probably the passport. In this day and age, it's a good idea to carry your passport too - even if it is not required, when you travel abroad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you need a visa ? Remember you are still a US perm resident until the day of the oath when they will ask you to surrender your GC and hand you your citizenship certificate. Don't loose that GC. That's the only thing you have that will get you in & out of the country until the day of your oath.

I believe he meant "a visa for Canada".

No, you do not need a visa to go to Canada regardless of your citizenship as long as you present your US green card to the Canadian immigration.

Those Mounties are so tolerant.

Once I get my freaking new DSL all setup today, I get back into bitching mode. Right now I am way busy with AT&T.

To/From Canada

I believe he meant "a visa for Canada".

No, you do not need a visa to go to Canada regardless of your citizenship as long as you present your US green card to the Canadian immigration.

Either ways Green card does the job. You don't need a visa PERIOD and like ravi1985 said, definitely carry your passport while traveling even to Canada. Nowadays passport has become one of the requirements to even travel to Canada & I think to Mexico too.