Can you travel to your old country?

wirelesssprint

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone, I need your exprience to answer my queston.
I got my green card a year ago after doing asylum. Now I have a white passport that is also called reentry permit. I would like to travel to my old country (Yugoslavia) because I feel that it is getting more safer and democratic. Will they bother me when I come back and will they take away my green card from me. I can not think of what will happen to me if they did so but I miss my friends and family and I have been away since 1989.

No problem

I think there is no problem with the trip, the country's political situation has changed and you have been here for 14 years.
I have heard a positive opinion about this matter from a couple of lawyers.
Let us know your decision and keep us posted about the results in case that you decide to go.

Regards

Thanks everyone for assuring me. However, I am sure that I will be really scared by doing what I am planning to do. I have received private messeges from people telling me that they will get the green card away from me.

What about GC holders who were formerly asylee or refugees going back to their home countries that are still considered as unsafe to return? Would BCIS officers at the port of entry make a big issue out of it when they see entry stamps in Reentry permit or RTD?

What about the authorities in your home country? (a former Yugoslav province) Can you apply for a new Yugoslav (or whatever independent state your country is now) passport or renew the expiration date for the old PP? What would the authorities in your homecountry say if they see one of their own citizens coming back home with a RTD or Re-entry permit?(BCIS indicates your place of birth in RTD and Reentry permit) And where did you have your I-485 approval stamped? In your old PP or on your I-94? Would it be ok with BCIS officers if you show them your new passport which I don't think has I-485 approval stamp, and your greencard?

In my opinion I don't think it would be a problem for you to come back to the US because you have PR status here. I would be more worried about the authorities in your home country. Eventho most former Yugoslav republic are "democratic" countries now I think immigration officers there are still corrupt and they might give u a hard time to extort money.

The type of reaction from the officers in Yugoslavia is a different matter, I have no idea about that, but about coming back as GC holder I remember several threads from the past showing real cases of people who had travelled to their countries and came back without problems.

Gilbert, do you know what is the procedure for an asylee returning from the country where he/she claimed persecution without GC? Will the IO send him/her to the IJ or just will face immediate deportation.
Personally I think that you have the opportunity to go to the judge and explain compelling reasons of your travel in case you have them.

Originally posted by wirelesssprint
Hello everyone, I need your exprience to answer my queston.
I got my green card a year ago after doing asylum. Now I have a white passport that is also called reentry permit. I would like to travel to my old country (Yugoslavia) because I feel that it is getting more safer and democratic. Will they bother me when I come back and will they take away my green card from me. I can not think of what will happen to me if they did so but I miss my friends and family and I have been away since 1989.
I think that your situation is not that bad since drastic changes have occured in Yugoslavia after the arrest of Milosovic. The only problem is that there has been unrest in your country and the prime minister was recently assasinated. Just be careful. I think once a person is granted permanant residency it means that noone will take this way from him/her unless they break law or evade taxes. The fear always stem from the old country

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by cookiemonster
The type of reaction from the officers in Yugoslavia is a different matter, I have no idea about that, but about coming back as GC holder I remember several threads from the past showing real cases of people who had travelled to their countries and came back without problems.

Gilbert, do you know what is the procedure for an asylee returning from the country where he/she claimed persecution without GC? Will the IO send him/her to the IJ or just will face immediate deportation.
Personally I think that you have the opportunity to go to the judge and explain compelling reasons of your travel in case you have them.

Asylees cannot be deported immediately--that is the law.

The asylee who returns home may be sent to an IJ or an asylum office for another evaluation of the asylum claim. You will have many chances to explain yourself.