Can you only get your Passport Stamped at your local INS office

Bongo

Registered Users (C)
Or can you go anywhere.

I haven\'t got my approval as yet but ...
I\'m moving out of State in a few weeks, do I need to get my
passport stamped at the San Fran office (my local office)
or can I get it done on the road in any state?

Thanks Guys.

INS office serving your area of residence

You could try on the road too or maybe the local drive-in but would recommend local office after relocation.

You can do it anywhere. My friend did so...

He was from San Jose but was living in the Midwest when he got his approval. He called the local INS office and was told that he could not do it away from the jurisdiction of where he filed from. Then the Sept 11 attacks happened and air travel was disrupted. He took a chance and went to his local INS office (A big metropolitan city in the Midwest) and got his approval with no problem. But everything depends on whether the Office you go to will let you do it. Hopefully, you will get your approval before the end of the year and then this point will be moot.

Bongo, My location was San Jose - Did it in Santa Ana

Bongo, Though my location was San Jose, I went and did the stamping in
Santa Ana. It was a smooth affair. I told the truth and the guy did it and also
chatted with me for sometime.

Good exeprience, no crowd.

No Title

Guys,

Just got my GC through interview and the passport was stamped during the interview. I do not know how the I485 approval notice looks in non-interview cases, however based on my notice the passport stamping is not mandatory. Passport stamping allows you to travel while waiting for the greencard, however according to my notice the rest of the process (to generate the platic card) continues independent of the stamping.

So it is more important to have access to the mail box specified in the GC application than to actually stamp the passport.

Again, I may be wrong, just wanted to add my 2 cents.