Can you cross the 2nd checkpoint with a pending AOS, Texas ID, Social Card?

alyon200

Registered Users (C)
:confused: My husband is pending his AOS but I have family up in San Antonio,Texas that I would like us to visit. My husband has his approved I-130, EAC, Texas ID, Social Security card.

My question is will the above info be enough for us to cross the 2nd check point in Falfurris, Texas? I told my hubby that you have to have a visa if you are not a U.S. citizen, is this correct?

The I-485 receipt and unexpired employment authorization card should be enough, if the border patrol officers are doing their job correctly.

However, occasionally there are incompetent ones that don't recognize certain documents, so people with valid documents sometimes end up getting detained for a couple hours or overnight while they verify the status.

He shouldn't carry the Social Security card; it's not proof of valid status, and the instructions it came with says it shouldn't be carried around, and the employment restriction wording on it could raise a red flag in the mind of a poorly trained officer.

Thank you for your quick response as always! My lawyer aide said the same thing but remember I live down in a corrupt area. :(
The I-485 receipt and unexpired employment authorization card should be enough, if the border patrol officers are doing their job correctly.

However, occasionally there are incompetent ones that don't recognize certain documents, so people with valid documents sometimes end up getting detained for a couple hours or overnight while they verify the status.

He shouldn't carry the Social Security card; it's not proof of valid status, and the instructions it came with says it shouldn't be carried around, and the employment restriction wording on it could raise a red flag in the mind of a poorly trained officer.

You are not likely to be stopped in the San Antonio, Houston, Dallas area. It is far from the border and checkpoints are usually installed on major but relatively low traffic roads. I know green card holders who got stopped and they did not have ANY immigration papers with them only DL. They were quicly questioned, verified and let go in 30 minutes. No big deal. They are looking for vans and trucks with 20-30 people crammed in and passanger cars with 2-3 people hiding in the trunk. No joke here, I saw it first hand.

Mary, we live down in hell, the Rio Grande Valley; we have a busy checkpoint in Falfurrias,TX or close to Three Rivers. They will most likely ask for blood to prove your authenticity. :( We are waiting for his AOS to be approved so we can move up there but I want him to meet my family which he should has we've been married for 5 years already. Thanks for the tips!
You are not likely to be stopped in the San Antonio, Houston, Dallas area. It is far from the border and checkpoints are usually installed on major but relatively low traffic roads. I know green card holders who got stopped and they did not have ANY immigration papers with them only DL. They were quickly questioned, verified and let go in 30 minutes. No big deal. They are looking for vans and trucks with 20-30 people crammed in and passenger cars with 2-3 people hiding in the trunk. No joke here, I saw it first hand.