Can we buy a house when in EAD??Please Respond!

plasticcard

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

We want to buy a house very soon. My wife and myself are waiting for the GC approval. (Jun 2001 filers in TSC)

We are in EAD right now and do NOT have an H1.

Is there any problem with financing if we are not permanent residents. Anybody bought house when in EAD?

There is no problem at all, a lot of people will want to loan money to you and you just need to pick the best deal you like.

Hi

Hi,

We bought almost a year & half back when we just filed our I485 and we did not face any issues with Mortgage loans or any of that kind. BTW, I did refinance a couple of times and no questions were asked whatsoever.

All the best.

PD 05/01/00
RD 09/10/01
ND 11/01/01
FP 02/24/03
AD ????????

WHY-R

Of course, you can buy a house. I bought my house before I got EAD. Only restriction is you have to put more money down.

We bought a house 5 years ago when I was a student and my wife working with H1. For foreiner to get mogage, they usurly want you put 10% downpayment. Other than that there was no problem.

Thanks Guys,

We are putting 20% down. Lenders are ready to loan but a few doubted if the visa status is a problem! I know many who bought when in H1. Anyway, loan application is on the process

I found that Wells Fargo was easy to deal with and had no issues with the visas. We purchased a house 2 1/2 years ago aftrer being here only a few months. We got a letter from my wife's employer stating that they ahd started the GC process. We got a favourable rate. I think we put down 10-15 %. I wasn't even working yet.

We bought a house and closing next week in Irving. We are on EAD and no H1 ,no FP yet but strongly trust in GOD that we will get the GC . Our morgate company is Wells Fargo, they just asked us about the expired H1 and the 485 recipt notices.

All the Best

Same with me

We are also buying house in Irving. I am also on EAD, expired H1., We gave 485 receipt and EAD, it seems it works.
Good Luck!

PD: 10/2000
ND: 04/2002
FP : Waiting :eek:

Good Luck!

I got my mortgage while on F1 OPT!

Plasticcard,

Don't worry about it so much. I got my house, two months out of college, while I was still on F1 OPT. My H1b had been applied for, and my company had promised my GC application. The only thing they asked for, and I gave to them was the receipt for the H1b application.

Also, because of good credit history, I was able to do a 3% down, FHA mortgage.

yes

You can buy a house a in US even if you do not have an H1 visa. It is an open society. As long one is with in the laws of land, there is no problem

There is no law that allows lenders to deny a loan, or to raise the interest rate, or demand more down payment money, just because of a person's immigration status. Actually there is a federal law called the "equality act", which prohibits this.

Any lender demanding more down payment, or threatening a higher interest rate, or simply denying the loan all together, is breaking the law, if they are making this decision based on your immigrant status.

If you find a lender who does this, then go to another lender, or tell the lender that you will report him to the better business bureau. They have no right to demand 20% down, or something similar, just because you do not have a green card. Many uninformed immigrants will fall for this trick.

The lender must decide on you eligibility based on your work history, income, and credit rating only.

In many cases people who do not have permanent resident status also have a short credit history and therefore a low score). Also these same people often have a short employment history. Ans as with Us citizens, people who fit this criteria are asked to give a larger downpayment, pay a larger interest rate, and in somie cases, are considered too high a risk to give the loan to. This is legal, since it is based on the person's financial status, not thier immigrant status.

But as immigration takes such a bloody long time in this country, many people have established considerable work and credit histories in the interim. These people would be eligible for the same best rates, and lowest down payments that any permanent resident or US citizen with a good credit history, and good work history could get.

After realizing this rule, my sister recently got a mortgage at 5.85% with 0% for 30 years. She has been here for 4 years, and she is in adjustee status.

I am not a lawyer, this is only my personal experience, and research.

Thanks Guys

Thanks a lot for responding..

My loan process is on the way and I will inform you all about the final result.