Can/US Taxes

windsorguy2003

Registered Users (C)
Can you claim your parents as dependents in your US Taxes if you are a Canadian Resident?....Can you claim them in Canada as well?. Does anyone have any experiences to share?

You can claim them on your US returns provided:

They have a valid SS# or ITIN#
They have been in the US for 180days in (2002) and you have supported them

In regards to claiming them on your Canadian tax return, you might want to call CCRA.

Hello

I am Udupi, newly registered member. I am Canadian PR Holder and F1 Student on OPT, living and working in Detroit.

I landed Canada on 07-Jan-2002 and I have Bank Account in Windsor. I want to file Canadian Tax return. Does anybody knows any tax preparer in and around of Detroit and Windsor for Canada and US tax filing ?

Earlier I was preparing US Tax return by myself. Can I prepare Canadian Tax return by myself ? what the documents I should have/download ?

Any suggestions will be appreciated

Thanks
Udupi

Hi Udipi,

Here's an other one. It's called "Taxes R Us" out of Windsor.
The contact name is Russell (taxesrus@wincom.net).
Everything will be done through e-mails. I filed mine last year.
Hope this helps.

PS: I am new to this arena, and I am glad to see good stuff, and glad to share the above info. Also appreciate senior members Ray S, Dimple 2001, Ginnu, Vault, Mercury6 etc. for their valuable contributions. Thanks.

Thank you very much for information, it is really helpful. I sincerely appreciate it.

I want to ask one more question Does Canadian PR really have to pay the tax ?

In my case I have only Bank A/c in Canada, which doesn't accrue any interest. I did not live for single day in Canada. Do I have to pay tax on US income ?

Thank you again

Hello Friends,

Thanks a lot for all the info provided regarding US/Canada taxes. I am on Student Visa in US from India, working in Detroit, Optional Training Period. Landed in Canada in Jan 2002, got SIN Card and Opened a Bank Account in Windsor, came back to Detroit. Again went to Canada. in June 2002 with the intention for permanent moving and stayed there for 15 days @ friend's house, no income. Sametime got a job in Detroit. Again came back to Detroit. Later, my wife got an admission into Oakland University. So thought anyway there is 2 more years to move,
can move after my wife finishes her studies in 2004.

Just 2 days ago I received my W2 statement from my employer and yesterday I finished my US tax return. I want to file tax
return in Canada too. Though the International Tax Service Office Representative informed me that I do not have to pay tax in Canada, I want to file tax return in Canada on my world income. I found it is too confusive.

Has anybody already filed Canadian tax, Can you help me out to figure out which Income Tax Form I have to use and which publication. I have to refer. Do I have to file Tax Return in Ontario also etc...

I sincerely appreciate the suggestions from tax payers.

Thank you very much

Udupi