Can Trump bar citizen from entering US?

fisherman

Registered Users (C)
Trump just singed a new Executive Order barring nationals from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan, Syria and Yemen from entering US with a visa for 30 days. And may become permanent afterward.

So my hypothetical question is does Trump have authority to bar dual national US citizens (from one of above countries) from entering US. Rumors has it that President Trump might go as far as barring US Permanent Residents (Green card holders) of those countries from entering US.

Thanks

No he can't. Let's not forget, USA is not a monarchy or dictatorship. It is a country of laws. Unless a persons citizenship has been revoked in a court of law, Trump cannot stop an American citizen from returning, even a dual nationality American citizen.

No he can't. Let's not forget, USA is not a monarchy or dictatorship. It is a country of laws. Unless a persons citizenship has been revoked in a court of law, Trump cannot stop an American citizen from returning, even a dual nationality American citizen.

Thanks ananga. That's reassuring. Don't still know what to expect from our new president as he seem to be shooting from the hip.

Britsimon said:
.... an no he did not sign the EO you are talking about.

You are right...sorry my bad. That was the draft of executive order that was put out Wednesday. He is expected to sign it though.

Its official. Today Trump singed the above Executive order, and suspension is extended from 30 days to 90. And complete suspension of Syrian refugees for an indefinite period.

Thanks god got my citizenship couple of years ago, so don't have to go thru all the mess immigrants (especially from muslim countries) will have to endure for foreseeable future.