Can TN e-file ask 2 years extension?

No can do. TN extension is for one year.

If indeed this happened, it was a typo or an oversight.

Asking for 2 will probably result in denial for the whole petition.

Here is what my lawyer did:

My current TN expires on Sept. 4th, 2007. In January 2007, my lawyer filed by mail for another 1 year extention, but asked for a July 1, 2007 start. It was approved. So in effect, I have a TN that is good for 18 months (Jan 07 until June 29th 08).

Did your I-797 information slip say "valid from 01/xx/07 until 06/29/08", or did it more correctly state "valid from from 07/01/07 until 06/29/08".

Your extension hasn't started yet, so you should still be on the 'old' TN.

That is why the I-797 has a "vaild from" date, eh.

Did your I-797 information slip say "valid from 01/xx/07 until 06/29/08", or did it more correctly state "valid from from 07/01/07 until 06/29/08".QUOTE]

It correctly states "valid from 07/01/07 until 06/29/08". So I am working under my 'old' TN until July 1st, then under my 'new' TN from July to June 2008. So since mid Jan (when my new TN was approved), I knew I could be in the country working for more than 12 months. 18 months to be exact, or 1.5 years.

So, as was asked an answered, extensions are only for one year.

Any reason why you asked for a new start date? The purpose of TN extensions is to extend your status for 1 year, not 9 months. are you planning to do this every year. Seems a waste.

So, as was asked an answered, extensions are only for one year.

Any reason why you asked for a new start date? The purpose of TN extensions is to extend your status for 1 year, not 9 months. are you planning to do this every year. Seems a waste.

Agreed....especially since 1-129's will cost like $325 as of July 07.

I was applying for an H1B, and would have had a a gap from Sept (when my current TN ends) and Oct 1st, when my H1B would start. Therefore, my lawyer extended my TN to cover the gap.

My point was only that you can end up being on valid TN status for more than 12 months. This maybe helpful for others who want to try to go from TN to GC.

Good reason for you. Not so good reason for Gc; you only need 4-6 months on TN for that (to get EAD/AP)