• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Can someone confirm if you need to apply for SSN or it comes automatically?

MonFD

Hello,

I am doing my landing this Friday and I would like to know if I need to apply for SSN myself or not.
On DS-260 to the question: "Do you want the Social Security Administration to issue a Social
Security number and a card?" I said YES.

Thanks
Monica

Mostly the “yes” works, sometimes it doesn’t, if you haven’t got your SSN card within 3 weeks of landing then go into a SS office and apply.

Hi all,

I am wondering how soon after landing I can apply for SSN? I heard that I need to wait 10 days so I can be in the system. Is that true? Also do I get a the SSN number already at the time of application?

Thanks

Monica

I am only in USA for 1-2 weeks and then I go back to London for 2 months coz I still have a lease there (if you need this information, Susie?)
so I want to get things done now like get a learners permit, open a bank account, apply for SSN. I just got off the call with SSA office and I was told there is no waiting period ughh now I guess I have to go there and see for myself.

I am only in USA for 1-2 weeks and then I go back to London for 2 months coz I still have a lease there (if you need this information, Susie?)
so I want to get things done now like get a learners permit, open a bank account, apply for SSN. I just got off the call with SSA office and I was told there is no waiting period ughh now I guess I have to go there and see for myself.

Uh, ok. Our SS cards arrived 10 days after we did without our having to do anything.
By the way where we live you need to show proof of residence to get a learner permit and - if I recall correctly - we had to show the actual SS card, not just give the number. Different states vary though. This is the type of thing CA requires: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/dl/residency_requirement
You don’t need a SSN to open a bank account.
I guess I’m just wondering why you’d want to put yourself through the hell of a SSA office without needing to, but if it’s important to you to get it quickly then yes you should go in and see.

You do in NY and with Chase.

Actually, you don’t if you know how to ask. As with medical insurance, it’s often an assumption from the frontline staff that can be overcome by going further up the chain. There are many people legally in the US (such as H and O dependents who don’t get assigned SSNs) who have bank accounts without SSNs, I personally know some of these with accounts at Chase. Although, what I do recall Chase being sticky on was a proof of residence, so not an option for OP to do on an activation trip anyway. Anyway all BoA requires is a passport and they are everywhere. I believe capital one don’t require an SSN either.
I’d personally think it takes less time to find a BoA branch in a big city than wait in line at the SSA office! But again if that’s what OP wants to do she’s perfectly entitled.

Actually, you don’t if you know how to ask. As with medical insurance, it’s often an assumption from the frontline staff that can be overcome by going further up the chain. There are many people legally in the US (such as H and O dependents who don’t get assigned SSNs) who have bank accounts without SSNs, I personally know some of these with accounts at Chase.

I hope they've changed it [again], as in early 2015, Chase changed something in their application for the new account process where they couldn't proceed onto the next screen [about half way through] without SSN.

Prior to that, it was possible.

I hope they've changed it [again], as in early 2015, Chase changed something in their application for the new account process where they couldn't proceed onto the next screen [about half way through] without SSN.

Prior to that, it was possible.

From what I understand they just enter a bogus one, like all 1s or something and they can get past the screen. But Chase isn’t an option for her anyway with no proof of current residence in US so she’d need somewhere like BoA anyway.

As you are on banking issues here, let me ask - for first timer like myself what bank is more "friendly" in terms of transacting businesses such as intercontinental funds transfer, accessible almost in every State or city (as I know some bank, like Charter One cannot be found in FL).

As you are on banking issues here, let me ask - for first timer like myself what bank is more "friendly" in terms of transacting businesses such as intercontinental funds transfer, accessible almost in every State or city (as I know some bank, like Charter One cannot be found in FL).

What do you mean by “accessible”? Between mobile banking apps (that do just about everything you can think of including depositing checks) and smartphone payments like Apple Pay, as well as obviously being able to draw cash via any ATM, there’s not much need to actually visit a branch much at all. However, if you do want a proper nationwide bank the big 3 are Bank of America, Wells Fargo and Chase (not necessarily in that order).

What do you mean by “accessible”? Between mobile banking apps (that do just about everything you can think of including depositing checks) and smartphone payments like Apple Pay, as well as obviously being able to draw cash via any ATM, there’s not much need to actually visit a branch much at all. However, if you do want a proper nationwide bank the big 3 are Bank of America, Wells Fargo and Chase (not necessarily in that order).
Many thanks Sue for your quick response - as usual, very helpful.

I entered here on an L2 visa and didn't have a social security number and I obtained a drivers license at 16 and a bank account with Bank of America.
I recently got an SSN last year and I opened a Chase account and they asked for it. I think it depends on the bank, but you don't need one.