Can Re-entry permit be used in place of a GC?

sikander

Registered Users (C)
Hello all:
I have obtained my re-entry permit, and I have the following questions relating to it:

1) I have obtained Permanent Residence status. I have not as yet received my GC because it got stolen from the mail. My Immigrant Visa in my passport is going to expire in June. If l leave the USA after June to travel abroad, and then want to return to the USA a few months later, then will my Re-entry permit alone be sufficient to allow me back in? If so, would it be safer to have a GC/valid Immigrant Visa in the passport in addition to having the Re-entry Permit?

2) On the biographic page of my Re-entry permit, there is a heading called "Category" and under this heading is printed "TR". Could someone tell me what this stands for?

3) I applied for an I-90. There is a C/O (care of) Address field on the form to which notices and other stuff from USCIS, in response to the I-90 application, need to be sent. Since I no longer trust my mailing address since I observed mail either not being delivered to it, or being stolen from it, I put my sister's address in California in the C/O Address field (I don't live in California, I live in another state, Idaho). When the biometrics appointment happens, it will probably happen in California, but I will probably still be living in Idaho. DO you think this difference between address given on I-90 (address in California) vs. my actual address (in Idaho) will cause any problems at my Biometrics appointment? I have acquired a police report for my stolen Green Card.

Any help would be appreciated. Also, it is quite sad to see that JoeF is leaving us.

Thanks

Thanks JoeF

Thanks JoeF. Welcome back! My comments in bold:

There is no category TR that I know of. Is that handwritten? What was the basis of your GC?
http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/...access.gpo.gov/cfr_2002/aprqtr/22cfr42.11.htm
provides a list of category abbreviations for consulates. The last digit goes from 6 to 0 for AOS.

This is printed, not handwritten. I got my GC thru my employer via Consular Processing

As this post shows, I'm back. The troublemakers have been banned after I complained to the owner of this board, although it took some time and they drove out somebody else in the citizenship forum before they got banned.

glad to see you back, your help is always appreciated. Thanks

Thanks JoeF

I had a question about the sailor's permit you got. There seems to be a long list of paperwork needed to get this, did you have to prepare so many papers before going to get the perrmit?
Thanks