Can one use premium processing to extend H1B/H4 ?


Registered Users (C)
This is situation:

Husband and wife are planning to travel overseas on Dec 17 2006 returning Jan 4th 2007.
H1B and H4 expire on Jan 7th 2007.

Attorney for the company is arguing that as soon as extension to H1B is filed, couple cannot travel (for about 3 months) until I-797 case is completed ? Is that true ?

What are their options here ?
Can they pay more and file premium processing to have this freaking H1B/H4 case extended in few weeks ?


Instead of filing their case thru DOS and take forever, can they schedule interview and travel to Vancouver BC and have their H visa renewed there in matter of few days ?