Can not get SSN because INS did not clear A#

Mulchand Gala

I went to local SS office to apply for SSN for my wife who is on H4. The lady punched in the "A" number on her EAD card. Then she said the number was not cleared by INS. I asked my lawyer about it. he says "INS puts data on any person with an A-number into a system called SAVE that the Social Security Administration can access to verify that the person really has work authorization or permanent resident status."

"For a person without an A-number, or whose A-number does not show work authorization, the Social Security Administration should accept the SSN application and should do a manual verification (the SSA sends a form to the INS, called and I-845, and the INS checks the person\'s work authorization and status manually). A hand check should not take more than about six weeks."

Anybody have experience with this?

Lawyer is correct.

I had a same experience with my wife SSN. SSN office accepted application and SSN office said that they need to send it to INS for Secondary Verification.

Ram

I had exactly the same experience with my son\'s SSN. The lady accepted the application with a copy of the EAD. The SSN came in the mail in 6 weeks. You wife will get it in the mail also.

Guys! Do we have to have EAD to get SSN? If I show them the A3 from the 485 receipt or AP.. will the

thanks

My wife has same problem, its been 8 weeks but no SSN yet.

SSA cleark said they need to verify with INS, its over 8 weeks and we did not hear anything back from SSA yet. I will wait for 2 more weeks and then go to the SSA Office.

5 Weeks

Hi,

Same problem with everyone, SSN Office will send detail about your wife\'s EAD(photocopy of EAD and other details) to INS to verify and once verified they issue SSN Number but again Card will take another 2 weeks.
Keep Calling........

Generally It takes around a month or 5 weeks for that but they\'ll tell you, it\'s going to take 8 weeks.

You should be fine, dont worry about that. For my wife, it took around 5 weeks......

Worst case between 2-3 months..average case 4-6 weeks...best case 7-14 days(No INS involvement)