Can interviewer ask things not on test booklet? (National Anthem lyrics, for example)

Ned50

I'm the kind of person who know things, but don't do well on tests...
(for example, I can solve the square root of 529 by heart, but if you
ask me to do it during a test, I'll freeze and can't give your the right
answer... the answer is 23, by the way.. :)

Anyway... so you can imagine how nervous I am right now. I know
99% of the stuff on the the test booklet(the one that USCIS gives
you to prepare) Well, I did go to high school in this country after
all... :) Unfortunately, I did really badly when I had my niece quiz
me... I only got 40% right... like I said, not because I don't know
the answer... just very nervous when I take tests of any kind... :(

Can the USCIS interviewer ask me questions not on the test booklet?
Like the lyrics of the National Anthem? When I go to baseball games,
I usually just hum along... :(

Thank you...

No the IO only ask questions out of the Booklet. Don't worry and my best suggestion is study with someone. Have someone else ask the questions. What I did for about 3 weeks was doing the Index Card thing. Question on the front, Answer on the back. When I was then questioned by my best friend I got maybe 30% right and we worked for another 2 weeks together every night and I A-ced the test. Also if you struggle on certain answers try to remember them by something special or find a ryme word. I know it sounds silly but it worked for me.

A friend of mine told me an interesting technique really. He said look at the answer and then try to guess what the question is. I am still not convinced that this will work for me, but it apparently helped him a lot memorize the answers.

Try it, for what its worth, if you think this might help you.

Good luck :)

A friend of my wife's was naturalised a year or two ago and she swears that she was asked to name the 7 continents as part of her interview. I cried foul - question have to be in the booklet - but she insists she is not making it up.

A friend of my wife's was naturalised a year or two ago and she swears that she was asked to name the 7 continents as part of her interview. I cried foul - question have to be in the booklet - but she insists she is not making it up.

yes she was probably making it up....

thre are only 6 continents! :)

(well... really depends on where you were from originally)

I read on a spanish forum that an applicant was asked to define terrorism and communism. He gave the OF his definition and OF did not agree with the answer. His application was denied. Next day, He went back to the field office with a lawyer. After talking to the supervisor the applicant was asked to show proof of his complaint. Luckily he had witnesses and his case was approved. Now, This is not the first case I hear about people being asked random question to proof their knowledge of the language especially to hispanics.

This doesn't sound right and you know why. The witness thing. There are only 2 people in the room unless you have a lawyer. The IO and you. So how can he have witnesses ?

This doesn't sound right and you know why. The witness thing. There are only 2 people in the room unless you have a lawyer. The IO and you. So how can he have witnesses ?

Hmmmmm....that's just what I was thinking. The only people in the
room should be the interviewing officer, the applicant, and if applicable,
the applicant's lawyer.

On the other hand, are the interviews recorded on audio or video? :confused:

I have a personal experience with a INS agent at the airport when I was
young.(18 or 19?) I had just flown in on a Frankfurt to Boston flight that
was delayed for hours. I was on a visitor visa at the time.

The officer in question said the following to me, which I still remember to
this very day:

"there are too many of you [people] here already, how about telling your
people to stay home?" (replace [people] with Asian/European/African
depending on your race)

I was too young at the time to say anything back, or perhaps I was just
shocked that a US government employee had the balls to say something
like that.(well... not balls, since it was a female officer) :( If it happens
today, I'd definitely file a complaint against the officer.

I don't thing the Interviews are recorded and even if the Applicant was ask to show proof so unless he recorded it which I doubt since it was ask for proof and he showed up with witnesses .. I don't know just sounds very fishy to me.

All of you guys are applying for citizenship, by now you guys should know all those questions and answers... just kidding!

It is one of the easiest interviews. I seriously believe the english test should be more thorough and not just a JOKE as it is now. They should make ENGLISH as the only language of communication everywhere in the United States of America. Come on, This is USA not Mexico or China. I was appaled when in the Oath ceremony of San Fransicko (err .. San Francisco), they had voting instructions in English, Spanish and Mandarin. You know what vote pampering is.

Last edited by a moderator: