Can in-laws be claimed on tax if they stay exactly 180 days? Is it only for state tax or federal al

Hey, you can!

In this case they are dependents, so why not? In fact one friend of mine did this last year and got several k tax return.

You can claim them as dependants only if they stayed here for 6 months ...

Also you might need a proof that they stayed for 6 months. Maybe copies of air tickets. And that you were sponsoring their visit(the copy of the letter and affidavit of support that you would have provided for them to come here etc.)

Note: This is just my opinion - I have never done it. But we had enquired about it when my in-laws came here for 4 months. It\'s always better to speak with a CPA in tax matters as they differ from state to state.

Thanks both of you. The tax deduction is in Federal as well as state tax?

I am in Massachusetts. Turbotax it is saying one has to stay 12 months to be claimed as dependents.

Only if the stay more than 181 days in a calender year in USA. Canada or Mexico <EOM>

&nbsp;

i agree with 485_VSc

Only if they stay more than 181 days in a calender year in USA
you can claim taxes ...INS is very Clever

Be careful when filing dependent claim..

Hunna ,
Your friend is taking \'chances\' with IRS which is worthless. Especially when GC is being processed, it is NOT advisable to do tricky things to save few thousand dollars.
Go to irs.gov and get more info on that or talk to any tax consultants.

There are few other strings attached to it apart from 181 days in North America.

dependant

I think u can claim anybody as a dependant only if they stayed &gt; 180 days in a calendar year and got their SSN or TIN(tax inden. number)

No.. frankly speaking they cannot be claimed....

First of all if I am correct, they might have visited you on Visitors visa but not on dependent visa....so how do you claim as dependents? My suggestion is not to claim... I already spoke these things with my CPA as my parents have visited last year.. and he said that you cannot do that......

They can be claimed as dependents only if

They had stayed for at least 183 days during the tax year(that\'s why they allow visitors only for 6 months)

OR

If they had stayed for at least 183 days in the previous 3 yrs counting all days during tax year, 1/3 the days of presence in the previous year and 1/6 the days of presence the year before that.

There is one catch though...if they hadn\'t stayed for at least 183 days during the tax year(but satisfies 183 days during three yr period) then you need to have evidence showing that &quot;they don\'t have a tax home in a foreign country and have a closer connection to the US than to their home country&quot;. This evidence is needed if you called for auditing.

Anyone whom you support financially can be claimed as dependents. So parents as visitors(whom we provide complete financial support) can also be claimed as dependents if they satisfy above eligibility requirements.

You don\'t need SSN to claim tax benefits. All you need is ITIN(if you are not qualified to get SSN) which anyone can apply to IRS and get it.

Hope now you can figure out if they qualify as dependents or not.

No Title

to claim anyone as dependent he/she needs to be a US citizen and the no. of days stay does not matter.