• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Can I visit the US on vacation if I am through to stage 2?

Hi All,

Further to my post below and your thoughts on the issue, I had dropped my plan of going to the US for vacation.

But I just been told to travel to the US on Company business. Of course it's the company that will process my visa. But I have to request for a non immigrant visa and I will be interviewed as part of the visa process. I'm confused here: Shall I go ahead and process the visa and travel or drop the request for travel? I don't know what reason to give to my boss if I should drop the request.

I need your opinion on this please.

Thank you

Visa for business travel and vacation travel is technically the same. It is the B1/B2 visa (B1 for businses, B2 for vacation).

It is not recommended to apply a new visa when your DV is processing. I'm sure you know the reason....immigrant intent.

As far as the reason to give to your boss.. I can't help you on that. Does your boss know that you are in process of getting a U.S green card? Would explaining to your boss about getting the green card jepordizing your job? If your Boss know that you are in process of getting a green card, then you can explain about the danger of applying a non-immigrant visa while you're in process of getting an immigrant visa.

You can try to apply for the B1 visa but from my understanding, it is most likely will be denied. It is a risk but no one knows until you done it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Gerindo,

Thanks for your quick response

Visa for business travel and vacation travel is technically the same. It is the B1/B2 visa (B1 for businses, B2 for vacation).

It is not recommended to apply a new visa when your DV is processing. I'm sure you know the reason....immigrant intent.

As far as the reason to give to your boss.. I can't help you on that. Does your boss know that you are in process of getting a U.S green card? Would explaining to your boss about getting the green card jepordizing your job? If your Boss know that you are in process of getting a green card, then you explain about the danger of applying a non-immigrant visa while you're in process of getting an immigrant visa.

No my boss doesn't have infromation on the DV process. And I don't think it'll jepordize my job if he knows about it. But I may try to look for other personal reasons . . . just to be safe.

You can try to apply for the B1 visa but from my understanding, it is most likely will be denied.

Actually I don't care if it is denied. The company may give explanation on the need to travel and my request for reconsideration. Actually the co has a good relation with the embassy. What I wanted to be sure of is if it will create a problem with the DV processing. I tried to search in previous forums in an effort to look for previous experience on the issue . .. but couldn't find any.

As far as the reason to give to your boss.. I can't help you on that. Does your boss know that you are in process of getting a U.S green card? Would explaining to your boss about getting the green card jepordizing your job? If your Boss know that you are in process of getting a green card, then you can explain about the danger of applying a non-immigrant visa while you're in process of getting an immigrant visa.

You can try to apply for the B1 visa but from my understanding, it is most likely will be denied. It is a risk but no one knows until you done it.

I don't see any reason why he can't try out for the Non-immigrant visa. The embassy will either deny him the visa or they might just give it to him. Either way, he still has his Dv Immigrant visa.
Applying for a Non-immigrant visa, will in no way affect his DV Visa.

Hi Johnkent, Gerindo

Thank you so much for your toughts on this. I also could not see the reason why it'll affect the DV process. Athough I have shown Immigrant intent by filling up the forms, why should I do it illegally having a pending legal DV case?? I traveled quite a lot to the US in the past and had I had the intention to do it illegally there were many opportunities.

I have a few days before I made my decision on this an I'd love to hear more toughts on this. I learned a lot from this forum.

Thank you all

Didn't want to start a new thread for this so I'll ask here I guess.
I will be current most likely in January. I know this has been pretty much answered already above, but just to be sure, if I travel to the US (under the VWP) for a couple of days next week this won't effect my DV application, will it?

I went over in mid-august and had no problems, they never even mentioned it. But as it's after October I just wondered... It's shouldn't be a problem, should it?

Didn't want to start a new thread for this so I'll ask here I guess.
I will be current most likely in January. I know this has been pretty much answered already above, but just to be sure, if I travel to the US (under the VWP) for a couple of days next week this won't effect my DV application, will it?

I went over in mid-august and had no problems, they never even mentioned it. But as it's after October I just wondered... It's shouldn't be a problem, should it?

I think there's no problem at all, as you will use the Visa Waver Program, which is just a simple green form that you will have to fill in the airplane. There's nothing related to the DV application. It's just another normal trip you will do.

All the countries with the VWP have this kind of advantages.
Note that starting January 2009 VWP countries will not have to fill the VWP form anymore, it will be done online 48 hours before your flight.

Since DV is an immigrant visa, this is what the U.S. Consulate in the Dominican Republic would do in answering this question:

"Can I get a Non Immigrant Visa if I have an open Immigrant Visa Petition?"

http://www.usemb.gov.do/Consular/ask/get_NIVvisa_withIVpetition.htm

The link meant for someone who is applying for a U.S visa from a non VWP countries when He/She ha an immigrant visa petition It is different for people from VWP countries because they don't have to go through interview at the U.S Consulate/Embassy to get the visa.

When you are in processing getting DV visa (already submitted the DS-230, DSP-122 or I-1485 and ...

1) If you already have a U.S non-immigrant visa or if you're from a VWP countries, you should be able to enter the U.S without any problem.

2) If you don't have a U.S non-immigrant visa and you're not from a VWP countries, then you are in a risk of getting the U.S non-immigrant visa denied because of immigrant intent statement (like what the link mentioned).

I received my NL and returned my froms to KCC in May 2007 (DV2008).
I went to the US last December for vacation (visa waiver).
Had my interview earlier this year.

There were absolutely no problems at any point.