• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Can I visit the US on tourist Visa if selected for Green card by lottery?

Jeffy14

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I'm from France and I learned a few weeks ago that I had been selected for further processing by the diversity lottery. I sent my application this week.
But I just thought of something:
I had planned a trip to the US (for 10days) as a tourist for several months before being notified that I was a winner. Do you think it is going to be an issue to visit the US while having been selected for Green card application? Am I allowed to do that ?
Canceling my trip would be really annoying :(

btw: a a european I dont need a visa to visit the US, but i'm still going there and i won the lottery

thank you very much!

I think there should be no problem as being selected does not mean you will actually get it anyway so I do not think they take that into account when you arrive at immigration.

Do they already know it by the way?

Well maybe someone knows that better than me... so can anyone confirm?

Also when did you get your notification and what was your case number if I may ask; I am a fellow French-speaker :)

ahha cool! my CN: 6xx
and you ? did u get selected?
I got my NL beggining of may , around the 5th

Yes you are right about the fact that they may not even know by the time I visit the US which is next week. and they just received my application
But still I want to cause any trouble to my application :)

Well that's a very low CN, you are on your way to leave pretty soon. Congratulations!!!

Unfortunately nothing here in Belgium no, I shall see next week... or wait until the 1st of July. I am pretty sure you would not get any trouble but let's wait for someone else to confirm.

Thank you tyty20
i hope everythin,g goes well for me! it was my 4th year playing
Good luck to you
No one has a clear answer to my question ? :(
Thx

You ca visit the USA while you are in the process of the DV. I don't think customs will ask you on the airport but make sure you have the tickets that show you will return and you should be fine. That's what I will do :)

Yes you can visit USA on Tourist visa. You wont have any problem unless if you have everything perfect from ticket to your passport.

Hi Jeffy14,

I'm glad you posted this question because I have the exact same issue :)
So when you return from your US trip, will you have to send in an updated DS-230? (since there will be changes to the question where it asks to lists all visits to the US)

Well actually, when I filled out the form I answered on a separate sheet and put all the times where i PREVIOUSLY went to the US and I added a note saying that I will be visiting the US at such date. So I dont think I would need to re send it. I did this because I already knew I was going to travel there in the near futur.
How did you do it ?

Ah, smart!
I didn't mention any future visits when I sent in my application because I am not 100% sure I will be going to the US... you never know when the next volcano eruption is going to happen. (I want to attend a specific event Stateside, so if the flights are cancelled that weekend, there's no point in going).
Ok so I guess I will need to double check with the embassy or the KCC right before going to the US.

ahah good one for the volcanos ;)
yes you should double check with KCC if you happen to go to the US and you did not mention it.
KCC answers your questions right away, they are pretty nice I was surprised.
Otherwise, it would seem logical to me that what you did is correct since the question asked is:

"35. List dates of all previous visits to or residence in the United States. (If never, write "never") Give type of visa status, if known.
Give DHS "A" number if any. "

They ask for "previous" visits from they day you are filling out the form. So what you did cant be totally wrong :)
Good Luck to you!

Thanks, Jeffy14!
Good Luck to you too! Hope everything goes smoothly and you get your GC soon :) (although right now the wait seems incredibly long)

...and let's hope there will be no ashes when either of us goes to the US :)