Can I use a friend's address for 485?

jmxu

Registered Users (C)
Can I use a friend's address for my 485? Due to my potentially frequent relocation, I prefer to use a friend's permanent address to file my 485 to avoid mail loss. Is it ok to do it?

I will never live at the friend's address, so it is for mail purposes only. In this case, do I have to file a AR11 rom my current address to the friend's address?

Thank you very much for your help!

fly

You can file I-485 with your friend's address. However, you must file AR-11 with your own address where you live.

Two different addresses??

Can we have two different addresses? Does USCIS not confused with two addresses? If we file AR11, where this address is stored? Not with USCIS..Gurus please shed some light on it.

raaj97 said:
Can we have two different addresses? Does USCIS not confused with two addresses? If we file AR11, where this address is stored? Not with USCIS..Gurus please shed some light on it.

AR-11 is not USCIS form, so USCIS has nothing to do with it. It's DHS form.

Address

Eventhough AR-11 is DHS form, USCIS is also using this information. When I changed my home from NE to OH, I filed only AR-11. I got the FP notice in OH. So, do some research on this and proceed.

AR11 filing....

I am sure AR11 information is shared by the DHS with other govt agencies particularly USCIS. Any comments from attorneys/experts.....

raaj97 said:
I am sure AR11 information is shared by the DHS with other govt agencies particularly USCIS. Any comments from attorneys/experts.....

Even if they share, the address for communication regarding your I-485 is the address whatever mentioned on your I-485 application. AR-11 does not change the address of your I-485 application. On the other hand, there is nothing wrong to provide a "stable" address (which could be friend's/relative's/attorney's/workplace address) for I-485 application. AR-11 has restriction, but I-485 correspondence address does not have that kind of restriction.

my attorney gives his address for all correspondenses and he updates me whenever he gets any info from USCIS

Ar11..

I agree with Pralay. His explaination is really clear. Yes you can give a perm address in your I485 which may be different from your current address and even if you move you don't have to change your address given in I485 unless you want to change it.
Thanks Pralay for your clarification.

Last edited by a moderator:
raaj97 said:
what pralay says is correct. 485 correspondances will come to address mentioned on that application.

also.... FYI USCIS is departement under DHS.

So does this mean that:

1. I can use friend's address on 485.
2. I donot need to file AR11 from my current address to friend's address since it is for correspondence purposes only and I do not physically move there.
3. I do need to file AR 11 if I move from my current address to a future address.

Thanks for all your kind help!

fly