Can I travle to Mexico after interview and before the oath?

surprise77

Registered Users (C)
I already passed the interview (decision cannot be made on the interview day since I green card 5 year anniversary was 2 week ahead, my green card anniversary is Feb 2nd). I need to travel to Mexico for 2 weeks at the week of Feb 15th.
I have two questions:
1: Will have have any trouble if I travel aboard at this time?
2: Can I ask my lawyer to postpone my oath if my oath date is during my trip?

1: Will have have any trouble if I travel aboard at this time?

I don't see any problem. You only need to list your trip on your oath letter. But I am not sure if
oath bailiff need to re-examine your physical presence test or not. Is your N400 accessible to
USCIS staff at the oath ceremony?

2: Can I ask my lawyer to postpone my oath if my oath date is during my trip?

Yes. Many have their oath reschduled.

I don't see any problem, oath can be rescheduled if needed. You can travel between interview and oath provided you don't break continuous or physical presence rules. With a 2 week trip I can't see how this could happen ;) So you'll be fine. This is my opinion.

With a 2 week trip I can't see how this could happen ;)

The problem is how USCIS staff know if any particular oath take is within or is not within the range of 2 weeks from failing physical presence test?
Do they have accesss to USCIS database at oath ceremony? Or they just ignore short trips anyway?

The problem is how USCIS staff know if any particular oath take is within or is not within the range of 2 weeks from failing physical presence test?
Do they have accesss to USCIS database at oath ceremony? Or they just ignore short trips anyway?

I think they just ignored the short trips. When I gave the letter, after asking the duration absent, he just marked "3W" on the letter and asked me to enter the location. And BTW, the way the processing is happening so fast, I am sure most of the people on the border-line would have been interrogated anyway to validate their candidacy, and once cleared, a 2-3 weeks absence may not matter.