can i travel to india with I-551 temp stamp (got thru CP process

localmadras

Registered Users (C)
got I-1551 stamp on Nov 25th thru CP process.

Can i travel to India with this I-1551 stamp, if yes do i need to carry any supporting document with this.

for I-551 my POE was dallas, but when i come back around Jan 2003, i will be landing in L.A (POE). will this create any issues ?

Please help.

Absolutely no problem ...

when entering the US. You would just stand in the "residents/citizens" line at LA immigration counters. I would imagine that all they would ask you is how long you were out of the US.

However you are travelling to India - if you are a Indian citizen then they could ask you for some doc. to fly to the US. Now if those blokes out there don't know what a I-551 stamp is then you might have to show some other proof that you have a GC.

If you are not a Indian citizen then I suppose they won't worry too much as you are leaving India.

I am going to India too on 551 stamp

In Jan 03 - I have 551 stamp th' AOS. Attorney just told me to carry approval notice. I am going to fly by Air-India. Do they know about 551 stamp? Any input appreciated...

Re: Re: I am going to India too on 551 stamp

Yup, iam from India.
i have a photo-copy of the immigrant-visa. Other than that i don't know how else i can prove that i have a GC.
Now if those blokes out there don't know what a I-551 stamp is then you might have to show some other proof that you have a GC
That i-551 stamp says lawful evidence of temporary PR. Do you think they still make an issue out it ?
Not all airline/airport personnel may know about it. Just ask for a supervisor. There eventually will be a person who knows about the stamp.

Pls provide some suggestions. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is a similiar case like your's

and had no issues while travelling on just the stamp.
We got the PP stamping done on 28th October and went to India on a short vacation on the 15th and returned last week and never faced any problems whatsoever in Chennai airport.
Instead had an hour's wait at JFK for re-entry because they were double verifying our papers (having a physical plastic card would have helped a lot) and it also included seeing the supervisor Incidentally at JFK, GC holders have to use the regular line and not the Citizen line which kind of SUCKED making the wait seem longer. We were one of the first to reach the counter and the last ones to leave it too.
Just make sure you carry all original documents (like the I-485 approval notice) along with you.
Just relax and have a great trip.

Hi Redman!!!

Apart from original 485 approval notice what else did u carry and show it to the officer at JFK? Thank you...

Just the original 485 approval notice

is enough to be carried while on an international trip with just PP stamp (meaning while travelling without the plastic card).
Hope this info is good enough.
Have a great trip.
Season's greetings.

Re: Just the original 485 approval notice

travelled with TEMP I-551 stamp.

My I-551 stamping was done at Dallas after CP @ chennai.
While going to chennai from Dallas, no questions asked. No issues on the way back to Madras(chennai).

While returning, my POE was at LA , they asked me if i have the plastic-card, i said no.
They verified my parent's name, thatz it, no hassles and no other questions. All set.

i didn't carry any extra documentation other than my original-certificates etc

Thanks everyone.