Can I terminate H-1B Contract?

desireuben

Registered Users (C)
Hi, I am currently working for my employer for 3 years and my H-1B is about to expire in 2 weeks. My Employer has already filed for the renewal. Now I want to resing from this job. But I looked at my offer letter that was given to me 3 years back when I joined the firm, It says If I quit the company in next 5 years I have to pay them all the expenses for H1 Visa. I am screwed here ? :(

desireuben said:
Hi, I am currently working for my employer for 3 years and my H-1B is about to expire in 2 weeks. My Employer has already filed for the renewal. Now I want to resing from this job. But I looked at my offer letter that was given to me 3 years back when I joined the firm, It says If I quit the company in next 5 years I have to pay them all the expenses for H1 Visa. I am screwed here ? :(

Check with a lawyer. Such a contract may be illegal. The H1B petitioner (employer) is required by law to pay for all of the filing fee. The H1B beneficiary (employee) should not pay this fee. Like I said check with a lawyer.. This contract could be void.

I don't thing that you have to pay expenses to the exployer. Such a contract may be illegal. The fees for H1B should pay by petitioner by law.