Can I take up a job overseas while im waiting for my N400 clearance

N400App

Registered Users (C)
I submitted my N400 application in mid february 2007 and completed finger printing in Mid March 2007

Now I have a great job offer abroad- that i may have to take up in a month or so. I was going to come back for the interview at oath taking ceremony , whenever they scehdule me for it.

But someone told me that - being outside the country can put my naturalization app in jeopardy. I made an appt with an immigration office in newark, NJ - and she said the same .

I have more than completed my residency requirements , have much over 5 years since my green card receipt. Will also maintain my residence here and have family ties here.

Should i just take the job now or wait till the naturalization process is done and then think of going abroad. The job may not wait that long.

Also does anyone, know what the wait time is for N400 apps sent in Mid Feb 2007 , Newark. ( Processign Center Vermont)

Thanks very much for any responses

No, you cannot take the job overseas before taking your oath. Doing so very much implies that you have abandoned your residence as a permanent resident and makes you ineligible for citizenship. Taking the job overseas is one of the more common reasons why citizenship gets denied.

Yup, if you take that job you can say goodbye to those 5 years of hard won continuous residence. IOs look upon foreign employment very unfavorably, unless you can document it is a temporary foreign assignment for a US based company that you already work for.

Do yourself a favor and wrap up your citizenship before you rush off abroad. In the long run you'll be better off.

I am/was in same boat.Turned it down just because of this.They really monitor you dates very closely and nine times out of ten they know we are all ready packed our bags to move overseas for employment or back to home country.As soon as citizenship is over.:p

I've worked for the same US company for the past 3 years. I'm now working overseas for the same company on a "short term assignment". I've been out of the US for a month, with maybe another month or two to go. I still get paid in US$ and my family have remained in the US where my kids go to school.

My wife and I have filed N400, done fingerprints, waiting for IL.

I was advised by an immigration lawyer this was fine.

Yes, you'll be fine, especially if the assignment only lasts a few months in total.

Problems start when the contract is open-ended or the employment is for a non-US company. i.e. someone takes a job abroad, rather than a temp foreign assignment for their existing (US based) employer.

If you have to go on a longer term foreign assignment for a US corporation, its best to get an approved N-470 before you go.

Yes, you'll be fine, especially if the assignment only lasts a few months in total.

Problems start when the contract is open-ended or the employment is for a non-US company. i.e. someone takes a job abroad, rather than a temp foreign assignment for their existing (US based) employer.

If you have to go on a longer term foreign assignment for a US corporation, its best to get an approved N-470 before you go.
Hi all
I consulted with an Immigration Attny.
He said it should be ok as long your interview happens within the next 6 months. Staying out of the country for periods of less than 6 months - does not make you a non resident.
I will have family, a home and all my bank accounts etc in the states and that should show as enough indication of my ties to the States.

My Job is with a non US company .
There is always some risk i guess, since the interviewer can interpret information differently

Hi all
I consulted with an Immigration Attny.
He said it should be ok as long your interview happens within the next 6 months. Staying out of the country for periods of less than 6 months - does not make you a non resident.

It certainly can, especially if the IO finds out you are living and working abroad on an open-ended contract. Six months, one month, one day... it doesn't matter, because you will have shown intent to abandon your residency. The naturalization six month rule only defines the time period after which you are presumed to have broken continuous residence - you can in reality, break it much sooner, simply by taking some action that makes it appear that you do not intend to return to the US. (There is legal precedence in this area, but I wasn't able to find the link to post here.)

Also, it is important you maintain your continuous residence right up until you take the oath. When you register on the day of the oath, a USCIS officer will ask you about travels outside the US since interview. Again, if they suspect you are working abroad, you may find yourself in a difficult situation.

I will have family, a home and all my bank accounts etc in the states and that should show as enough indication of my ties to the States.

My Job is with a non US company .
There is always some risk i guess, since the interviewer can interpret information differently

This is a key point - IO's do have considerable leeway in their adjudication of the case. While you may have sound basis in law (which I personally think is questionable), your case may still be denied, and the only recourse would be to appeal and go before a judge. Sounds expensive and time consuming to me.... much better to wait a couple months, get your USC and then go abroad.

I submitted my N400 application in mid february 2007 and completed finger printing in Mid March 2007

Now I have a great job offer abroad- that i may have to take up in a month or so. I was going to come back for the interview at oath taking ceremony , whenever they scehdule me for it.

But someone told me that - being outside the country can put my naturalization app in jeopardy. I made an appt with an immigration office in newark, NJ - and she said the same .

I have more than completed my residency requirements , have much over 5 years since my green card receipt. Will also maintain my residence here and have family ties here.

Should i just take the job now or wait till the naturalization process is done and then think of going abroad. The job may not wait that long.

Also does anyone, know what the wait time is for N400 apps sent in Mid Feb 2007 , Newark. ( Processign Center Vermont)

Thanks very much for any responses
N400App,

Follow other peoples advice. Do NOT leave the country. Your citizenship will be in jeoperdy. Continuous residence and physical presence requirements apply till oath.