can i renew my EAD card by myself from my local INS office?

No Title

Thomas Dev or anybody else,

Can I get a fresh EAD(first time) from the local office? Or do I need to go through VSC for first time. 90 days have passed since I applied my 485. I did get my wife\'s EAD/AP from VSC at that time, but did not apply for mine. I\'m thinking now, that I should have it to be on the safe side...

aGCSeeker.

No Title

If you have applied for I-485 at any one of the regional service centers (such as VSC, TSC, NSC..) you CANNOT apply for EAD at the local office of the INS

No Title

Hey aGCseeker

Why do u say to be on the safe side. Its better to be on H1B per my attorney. If AOS were to be denied (worst scenario) or if it is still pending then you can keep renewing your H1B till they decide and even use the remaining years if things were to go wrong. With EAD it\'s end of the story. This is what i got from my attorney. Wife having it is ok since she is a derivative and she can always rollback to an H4 or apply for H1B or she can work independently while your AOS is under process.
Man u are smart and why are u thinking of making a false step. Correct me if i am wrong dude

No Title

I don\'t agree with sunny boy\'s point. Please read the following information:

On May 16, 2000 the INS provided further clarification on how they were going to view the interim rule and provided several points.

- For purposes of approval of the I-485, those who are on the H-1 or L-1 status are required to prove their intent to work for the petitioning employer in their employment-based adjustment of status case, even though they can obtain the non-restrictive work authorization (EAD).

- If an H-1 or L-1 holder decides to file for and obtain the EAD but keeps working for the same company, he/she is still in valid H-1 or L-1 status and able to extend the H-1 or L-1 as needed (up to the maximum allowable time on that status). The mere fact of obtaining the EAD does not affect one\'s status; only if the person uses the EAD to take on another job, would he/she no longer be considered to be maintaining H or L status.

- If a person obtained an EAD and then went to work for another company while waiting for the completion of her/his adjustment case, that action would effectively terminate the H-1 or L-1 status of the beneficiary and she/he would have to file for advance parole to travel. The H-1 or L-1 holder would not be able to renew the H-1 or L-1 status in this situation.

No Title

Thomas, thanks for your reply.

sunny boy, i had the same thoughts when I applied 485. I see a few layoffs in my consulting company. However, my company is continuing GC for those candidates and allowing them to work on EAD for some other company(they will provide emp. letter if needed in RFE). Though I have a project in hand right now, I want to have an EAD in hand to be able to take up a new job, if absolutely necessary.
Helpneeder\'s post is what figured out later. I won\'t use my EAD unless absolutely necessary and still maintain my H1 status.

aGCSeeker.

No Title

That\'s not correct. (Though the EAD form says so).
Lots of people in my workplace filed 485 with VSC
and got their EAD from local INS.