Can I perform abroad on F1 visa?

Discussion in 'General F Visa and Related Issues' started by Sebastian M, Jun 11, 2018.

  1. Sebastian M

    Sebastian M New Member


    I am a self-employed musician from the EU going to start a doctoral program in the US on an F1 visa.

    I have a few overseas concerts outside of the US planned for the rest of the year, for which contracts have been signed before my place as a doctoral student had been confirmed. None of them are in the US.

    As the F1 is a non-immigrant visa, I will be forced to maintain a residence in my EU country of birth and continue to pay taxes there for all income from concerts.

    I have checked with my professors and they will allow me to fly away for a few days to perform these concerts.

    Similarly, I know for a fact that others have done this before me.

    Is this allowed or were these other musicians simply working illegally?

    Many thanks!

Share This Page