Can I move?

asmodean

Registered Users (C)
I am waiting for my 485 approval (ND Dec 2003. FP done Nov 2004. PD is Jan 2002). I am seriously considering moving. Can I do that without adversely affecting my 485 approval? If I can, can I move to a different state (say from NJ to VA)? Or, is it better to stay where I am or stay in the same state?

Please advise.

I had lots of problems when I moved.

I sent AR-11. I notified the 1-800 number that I moved. I followed up 6 months later to make sure that they have my correct address. I followed up a another 3 months after that. Along the way, my lawyer moved. He sent all the info to the USCIS about his noew address. Then my company changed lawyers all together, and they filed a new G-28 (?). Then my case got transferred to the local office for an interview. The local office did NOT have my new address. They were sending everything to my old address. They were sending a copy to the lawyer, but of course they were sending it to the old lawyer. And since he had moved, they were sending it to my old lawyer's OLD address. Luckily, the post office forwarded the letters to my old lawyer's new address. He was kind enough to promptly notify me and my new lawyer, but many lawyers are not this coopertive once you leave them. Nothing ever got forwarded to me from my old address, even though I had renewed my forwarding info every 6 months, in anticipation that this would happen.

I later dicsoverd that they have my address in several systems. Only 1 had been updated, and the systems that trigger some of the notices had the the wrong address.

In the end, I got my address corrected at the interview, when I pointed out that thay have my incorrect address. It could have ended much more badly. I was lucky, since I had an interview, and I was able to correct it IN PERSON. I know that they verify for your address, when you go for the stamping too, but if I had not had an interview, who knows if they would have corrected it the correct system.

Bottom line, if it wasn't for my old lawyer, I would have never been notified. If you have a choice, try to wait until you get your card before you move. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Curious George.

It sounds like a nightmare. That is precisely why I am hesitating.

But the question then is, should I keep my life on hold hoping for 485 approval (in some ways, that is what we are doing anyways). The dates say I should/could get any day now. But it is a good possibility with INS that I might not get it for a loooong time. I am really undecided. Oh well!!

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

asmodean said:
Thanks Curious George.

It sounds like a nightmare. That is precisely why I am hesitating.

But the question then is, should I keep my life on hold hoping for 485 approval (in some ways, that is what we are doing anyways). The dates say I should/could get any day now. But it is a good possibility with INS that I might not get it for a loooong time. I am really undecided. Oh well!!

Thanks again for sharing your experience.
The only thing I can contribute here is my experience:
1. After getting my approval and stamping (spouse still pending), I moved (company transferred, I am still working with my GC sponsoring company .. I dont know why but ... ). I updated my address. My address did not get updated because I did not receive the change of address letter from them. I called again after 15 days and updated again. The lady told me that the address is updated. I insisted it is not and I want to talk to a VSC officer. Reluctantly she transferred and the officer told me that it is not updated. I updated the address with him again. I asked him it will update my stamping. He told me it will. But then one more month passed and I did not receive my card. Naturally I was worried. I called again and this time went directly to VSC. Again talked to the officer and got the card in a weeks time at the new address. Phooo ...

2. Wifey applied for EAD from the old address. We both had to move to a new project (we both work with the same company - I am primary in GC - her GC is pending). She updated the address 2 times. But you know what - they approved her EAD and sent it to the old address. Got returned by the post office and then we had to call to get the EAD at the correct address. Came within 5 days.

To cut the long story short - avoid it if you can. If you cannot, then it is another bag of worries to add to the long list of USCIS woes.

Thanks Dazzling.

I guess I just have to suck up and ignore the holes getting bigger in my pocket and stay put. :(

My lawyer has put his address as Care Of on all my applications.
So all the notices go to him. Even the FP notice went to him.
In this case if I move, do I have to update my address by calling USCIS?

Plz advice

asmodean said:
Thanks Dazzling.

I guess I just have to suck up and ignore the holes getting bigger in my pocket and stay put. :(

avi_gc said:
My lawyer has put his address as Care Of on all my applications.
So all the notices go to him. Even the FP notice went to him.
In this case if I move, do I have to update my address by calling USCIS?

Plz advice

No, you don't need. However, you still need to file AR-11.

We moved twice when my wife's I-485 was pending and reapplied for APs, EADs (my I-485 was approved already). She faxed change address notification (California Service Center has a separate form for change address - in CSC Guideline document) for each pending case. We never had any problem. She got her EAD cards, AP documents, FP notices in new addresses. We never tried to call by phone because it used to take hours to get someone at USCIS. So we chose the option fo faxing (also kept the fax copy so that we could show it it case EAD/AP is lost in mail or returned from old address). And it worked.

However, in this forum I read many horror stories about change of address - not just in this thread.

So use your own judgement (weighing various factors in your life - opportunity in new place, risk of EAD getting lost in mail and its impact) whether to move or not. For example, if you have valid H1, probably you can take the risk of getting EAD card delayed. For I-485 approval notice, FP notice, one copy of notice always go to lawyer. I-485 RFE always go to lawyer. If you have lawyer probably it's not too bad if these notices get lost in mail.

I moved in Dec and changed my address with Ar-11 and by calling the Service Centre. I got a confirmation letter from USCIS Vermont confirming the address change.

Since then I cannot track my case via phone.