can I make a move within the same company? status: I-485 & PP stamped

sarikanarya

Registered Users (C)
I recently got my PP stamped. I work at a large corporation and would like to seek other opportunities within the same entity who sponsored my green card. In short, may I work in a different department with a different job but the same company who sponsored my green card? Can I do that now after a week of my PP stamp date? Txs.

Business conditions change and I can't see what is wrong with you changing positions with your sponsoring employer at any point after each of you have fulfilled your obligations after becoming a PR, i.e. you reported to work and took on the same job your green card was based on, and your employer paid you the specified wage for this. If only a week after this something comes up that is a better opportunity with your employer, just WHO is going to raise an issue with this? It's a win-win for you and your employer and the INS isn't going interfere with conducting normal business practices like this.

Take a somewhat different scenario and you end up getting laid-off a week after you become a PR. Who's going to deny you the opportunity to seek out a new job in that instance? And it wouldn't even be with your sponsoring employer at that point. The consensus on this scenario is that this is OK, so how can an internal move with your employer be less acceptable than this???

Take the new job.

Originally posted by JoeF

That's a different scenario. You are not responsible for the layoff.

I agree that it is less problematic than changing employers. But there still is the question of working in the sponsored job "indefinitely", which you agreed to do.

Look, if the employer WANTS you to move to a new position, you have little choice. In fact, inflexibility about a position change could lead to being terminated in the worst case.

Careers inevitably involve moves and progressions to new positions with your employer. The INS simply isn't going to interfere in what the employer / employee do in the course of conducting their business once everyone has fulfilled their obligations. If the employee and employer had a good faith intention to continue in the sponsored position indefinitely at the time of offering the sponsored position, and the employee has fulfilled this by reporting to work in the position, then they've done all they're obligated to do. After this, no one's going to dictate that your career is on hold for 1 month, 3 months or 6 months if circumstances come up with your employer where you can be a greater asset to them in a new position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, why would moving within a company be a problem.

Will there be any documentation that INS will receive that will alarm them.

In my comp, inter-dept movement is very much encouraged both by HR professionals and Managers too.

So, I dont' understand the reason for staying with the same dept.

Pls, care to explain?

JoeF

Are you qualified to answer these questions?

Now, before you get into the 'freedom of speech' tirade, be careful that you dont jeopardize someone's future by your ill-informed comments!!