Can I Leave My Employer ???

FromSA

Registered Users (C)
Friends,
I got my GC stamped in my passport, though I have not received my plastic card yet. I am on bench for last 3 months. But my attorney told me to stay with my employer for atleast 3 months. Its been only 3 weeks, still 9 weeks to go as per my attorney\'s advice. Question is what if I leave my employer before 3 months ? May be before I get my plastic cards ... or should I wait for 2 more months without salary?

Pls reply.
Thanks

No Title

If your current employer does not have a problem, you can very well leave right after the day you get that ugly red seal on your passport.

No Title

I would leave the job if I were you. But please make sure that you are mentally strong enough to handle people who worry you (including your own self) about this day by day. Best of luck!!!

No Title

thanks guys ...only concern is is it LEGALLY OK ? Any chance of future inquiry about why I left my employer before 90 days? As my employer has no problem if I leave.

No Title

I suggest that you listen to your lawyer. If the INS finds out later on that as soon as you have the GC and leave your employer, you will have a big problem. They can revoke your GC at any time. Good luck!

No Title

I saw one of the posters saying that IIO told him he can leave legally right after getting the GC. I think this has something to do with new law (AC21). If you can find another job with similar field you should be OK.

No Title

You can very well leave the employer after having the PP stamped. Some of my friends did that with no problem what so ever. Since you are on bench, your employer should be more than happy to let you go. Go ahead and find a new employer.

No Title

FromSA,

You do not have to worry about changing employers specially after getting your passports stamped. As far as my information goes, you are doing a perfectly legal thing. It as been confirmed by IIO as well per conversation of one of our fellow netters. According to my attorney it is only a good gesture to stay with your employer who sponsered you for green card, for some time, nothing more than that. BTW, I have switched employers on June 1st. I got my approval on May 23rd.

Hope this helps.

No Title

i asked my lawyer this same question, he said you can leave any time after stamping. IMHO don\'t burn the bridges, keep a good relation with prior employee also. Good Luck

No Title

I guess everyone is slighly worried about the 6 months rule and we
never know how INS would react at a later date at the time of
naturalization . Currently INS doesn\'t bother about employment
with the sponsoring company . Besides they are coming out with regulations about the 6 months rule . I would rather wait for that .

I was thinking of taking 6-9 months of unpaid vacation and then join
back the company for 1-2 months and then quit .

What do you guys think ?