Can I hire computer to work for me ?

chenshi

I am H4 holder. I know that I can register a company but
can not work for it in US.

My idea is to set up a web site and sell software online.
Everything can be done by program.

I can go to another country to set up this web site, then
come back to US and wait for the website to work for me.

I'd like to know if this is legal ?

Paying tax is considered as work ?

JoeF said:
And who would pay taxes, do maintenance, etc. etc.?
I don't think you have thought this thing through.
In short, somebody human still has to run the business.

Paying tax is only once a year, why this can not be done by the
director ? Anyway, these works can be done once a year and one
can leave US to do it.

Thanks for your reply.

What is work ?

JoeF said:
Taxes was just an example. Rent, electricity, ...
Besides, business taxes are usually due more than once a year.
Running a company can not be done by machines.
It is obvious to me that you have no experience what running a company involves.

It is hard to image paying tax, rent and electricity can be
considered as 'work'. Are there official definitions for the notion
of work ?

Rental payments and electricity etc. can be paid electronically and
automatically too. Actually, a web site does not need them.
There are monthly fees for a web site, these can still be paid
automatically.

It is true that I do not have business experience yet, that's why I
am collecting relevant information and I appreciate your help.
On the other hand, internet and e-commerce are giving us new
opportunities for business management.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe,

With respect to the argument in this posting and previous postings, I would like to state that a corporation or LLC registered in the United States is treated as an "entity" just like an individual. It has its own life and pays the taxes. The directors dont work for the corporation unless they are paid. The corporation can get the work done by employee or other entities. A director is not a post in the organisation. CEO/CFO etc are.

In a C corporation, the individual can be situated in any part of the world and yet invest the money in the organisation. He can recieve dividends from that organisation. Dividends are always taxed and the corp. pays the taxes before paying any dividends.

JoeF said:
Absolutely anything you do for the company is work, by definition. Somebody has to authorize the payment. That is work. Signing something (a check, order, what have you) is work.
A company has an official address. Website or not. So, where is the official address???
You are still hung up on the examples. Running a company is much more.
Running a company requires a physical person. Another issue: who answers mail, snail mail or email? Companies have to comply with a bunch of government regulations, so who ensures compliance?
How companies are run does not change. E-commerce just means that there doesn't need to be a brick-and-mortar storefront. But the backend of actually running the companies does not change. The laws and regulations of running a company do not change.
An organisation can hold a mailing address which is the mailing address of the Resident Agent. Unless the organisation has third party equity the organisation doesnt need to have an office. People operate from their homes every day. Especially home based online businesses.

As of paying bills, the entity pays all encumbering expenses just as it collects all revenue.

Signing a document is not considered work. Directors usually dont include themselves in the day to day operation of a firm. They cannot until they hold a position that entails them to do so. Hence this a catch 22 situation. You can own the company as a director but not get paid or sign ocuments on behalf of the company unless you are a CEO or Chairman or President. You cannot be a CEO/Chairman/President unless you are authorised to work .

You will have to hire someone who is legally allowed to work in the US to do these functions for you.

Talk to your accountant or lawyer or Resident agent. They have several options that can help you get your company started without doing anything that is illegal.

Since you donot have any experience in incorporating a business or operating one, there are a lot of good books about Corporations, the piviliges that they are offered under US law and the blankt protection that they provide their share holders.

USCIS is not a law making body. It doesnt enforce employment regulations. The Department of labor does. IRS doesnot enforce employment regulations, it just collects taxes.

As JoeF is not a lawyer and he doesnt play one on TV either, neither am I.

I would suggest Joe and others to consult respective counsel or better the USCIS to clarify any queries without being mislead and without being scared.

USCIS does offer good help.

Mr. JoeF.

All I did was re-iterate what you write in all of your messages.

Get a grip buddy !

sbhatte said:
Since you donot have any experience in incorporating a business or operating one, there are a lot of good books about Corporations, the piviliges that they are offered under US law and the blankt protection that they provide their share holders.

USCIS is not a law making body. It doesnt enforce employment regulations. The Department of labor does. IRS doesnot enforce employment regulations, it just collects taxes.

As JoeF is not a lawyer and he doesnt play one on TV either, neither am I.

I would suggest Joe and others to consult respective counsel or better the USCIS to clarify any queries without being mislead and without being scared.

USCIS does offer good help.

Yup, contacting respective authority or professional is the best way for such situations.