Can I have L1 along with H1

NaliniKumari

I have two questions.

1. My L1 visa is expiring in Aug 2004 and my I-94 in Jul 2006. Now, can my employer apply for H1 for me instead of going for L1 extension? Is there any issue in holding a L1 and applying for H1. I understand that I will get my H1 visa stamped in Oct only.

2. I want to join a new company. If I get H1 from the new employer,then will my present L1 be invalid? What If I change my mind after I get my H1 and decide to be with the present employer? Will there be any issues?

Thanks,
Nalini

Hi Nalini,
Did u got any answers for your question L1 B and H1B.
Please let me know if you have any info about it.
I'm also in the same position and would like to know the details about it.
Please mail me the details at drshankar_74@yahoo.com.

Thanks in advance
Ravishankar

Even I Am In The Same Situation

Nalini,
I am in your second situation. but only difference is my H1 is in process with company 'B'. What if my current employer 'A' terminates the L1 before i get my H1 approval with 'B'. do i need to leave the country or i can still continue staying here.
please mail me the reply you receive to nidhi2k2000@yahoo.com

Thanks,

rgcs said:
Nalini,
I am in your second situation. but only difference is my H1 is in process with company 'B'. What if my current employer 'A' terminates the L1 before i get my H1 approval with 'B'. do i need to leave the country or i can still continue staying here.
please mail me the reply you receive to nidhi2k2000@yahoo.com

Thanks,

You all have many questions. A petition to change status is just that, a change of status from L-1 to H-1 requests USCIS to change your status from L-1 to H-1. When USCIS approves the change of status, your status is changed from L-1 to H-1. You are then in H-1 status. If you fail to work for the H-1 sponsor, you are then not properly maintaining your status. If you continue to work for the L-1 employer, you are working without authorization. A change of status request is not something that you should make if you are not sure you want to work for the new employer.

As long as you were in valid status when the petition to change status was filed, you would remain in status while the COS is pending. This assumes that you held a valid I-94 at the time of filing the COS petition.

Hi Jim,
Thank you for your reply. I also in a similar situation but I had worked for my previous employer for 3 months on L1b (after my COS was approved) before joining my new employer on H1. What options do I have now?

Hi Jim,

Regarding the statement, "A petition to change status is just that, a change of status from L-1 to H-1 requests USCIS to change your status from L-1 to H-1"

I currently have an L1B. If an employer A apply for the new H1, will that still be a change of status from L1 B to H1 B ?