• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Can i go to the US after a year after my interview is passed

TKFOO84

Registered Users (C)
Hi everybody,

Would like to know can i go to US after a year after my interview is passed? Would they disqualified my green card? Can i apply something like re-entry?

Please answer thank you very much!

Foo

I think the immigrant visa they stamp in your passport is valid for 6 months after the interview, so you have to activate the green card within that time frame. I guess you could enter the US and then leave, but be sure to check the residency requirements for keeping your gc.

Bottom line: You can't make your trip the US one year after your interview. You first have to go within 6 months to activate the green card.

There is a way that worked for me.
When you go to the interview, don't bring your passport, or don't leave it there. You will have to either discuss this with the interviewer, or find a reason to not leave the passport. For example, I said that I desperately need the passport the next day to travel out of country.
Then, I mailed the passport approximately 5 months after the interview, and I got my visa in 2 weeks. This way you could extend the time frame for entering the US for the first time. However, this may not work in every case...

When you go to the interview, don't bring your passport, or don't leave it there. You will have to either discuss this with the interviewer, or find a reason to not leave the passport. For example, I said that I desperately need the passport the next day to travel out of country.
Then, I mailed the passport approximately 5 months after the interview, and I got my visa in 2 weeks. This way you could extend the time frame for entering the US for the first time. However, this may not work in every case...

I suspect it is not working. If so why don't ask for delay for an interview it's safer than that.

The DV visa should be issued before september. In Pharunde2's case he got his 2nd letter in Nov so he had one year and afford to delay. Which year are you talking about? If it is for DV 2009 then you should get your visa issued before sept 2009. There is also a risk of the dv quota being exhausted before september. So be careful.

Some people forgot that getting the DV visa is a privilege and not a right . It's like a gift from the U.S Government. You can delay as long as you want and try different method to postpone the visa issuance, but at the end, it will be still the U.S Embassy/Consulate decision to give it to you or not.

My suggestion, if you really want to become a U.S Permanent Resident, don't play around with it. Don't take risks that has the chance of ending badly. Go with the interview, take the visa, and go to the U.S in the time specified. Follow the rules, and don't try to find loop holes that is uncertain.

Thank you guys for the advise. What I'd like to know now is, I've scheduled my interview on coming early September, and if i passed my interview, I'll leave for US within 6 months, which I'll do that, but do you think it's possible for me to go to US and collect my green card after that i come back to my own country for another 6 months for some important assignments then go back to US by applyying re-entry permit or something.

Anyone? Please advise. Thank you so much!

Forgot to tell you, is that possible to just collect my green card in a week time after i landed in US?

Will you have sex after a year after getting married??...NO!! Just kidding///I think you have to travel within six months and you can come right back...you just have to maintain residency for six months..

Allright, what i'd like to know is, after i landed in USA within 6 months after i passed my interview, and if i get my green card, is that possible to go back to my own country for few months and go back to the United States after that? Besides, can i apply re-entry or something? I heard there's re-entry such thing. Besides what is the difference between AOS and CP? Can someone please explain it? Is that anyone in US Embassy that can help me to extend the period to go to USA? Please try to help, because i really have something important to do in Malaysia which i hope i don't need to do that stuff, but i need to.

Please everybody help me.

Best Regards,
Foo