Can I get NORI in advance?

balumnair

Registered Users (C)
I plan to apply for a waiver by end of next year only. I understand that it takes a while to get documents from India (6-8 months) to be submitted to Indian Embassy. I was wondering if I should start the process of getting NORI from India right now so that I will have all the documents by the time I am ready to request a No objection statement from the embassy. But do they ask for recent NORI from India or there is no time frame for it? Appreciate comments on this.

No Objection Letter has to be mailed directly from your country's consulate to DoS. So you have to have generate the number for your case. I am not sure about how recent it has to be but normally everyone is doing everything somewhat simultaneously.

I plan to apply for a waiver by end of next year only. I understand that it takes a while to get documents from India (6-8 months) to be submitted to Indian Embassy. I was wondering if I should start the process of getting NORI from India right now so that I will have all the documents by the time I am ready to request a No objection statement from the embassy. But do they ask for recent NORI from India or there is no time frame for it? Appreciate comments on this.

Yes you can get NORI from three Indian agencies and keep it with you until you are ready to request Indian consulate/Emassy to issue you a No objection letter.

But makre sure you will get your J-1 extended, if needed, before you send copies of all ds-2019 to DOS for J-1 waiver
good luck

Lakksh got my point and thanks for the reply. I see in most cases the delay is for getting documents from India.