Can I claim unemployment ?

mailz

Registered Users (C)
My GC was approved last week after interview and going to get laid off next week. Can I claim unemployment ?

I worked for the sponsoring employer for almost 5 yrs.

Can anybody share experience who has claimed unemployment after being laidoff immediateley after GC approval (thru interview).

My advice is, do not cliam any unemployed benefit for a period of 6 to 12 months from your GC approval. This is just my opinion.

Originally posted by mailz
My GC was approved last week after interview and going to get laid off next week. Can I claim unemployment ?

I worked for the sponsoring employer for almost 5 yrs.

Can anybody share experience who has claimed unemployment after being laidoff immediateley after GC approval (thru interview).

The law entitles you to receive unemployment benefits. Both you and your employers have paid premium into the insurance fund. It is the insurance fund that pays unemployment. And it does not make you a public charge.
Once you receive green card, you are on par with anyone else in the US, including US citizens. And laws and rights apply to you just as much as anyone else.

Sure

I think it shouldn't mater to claim the beenfit Bcoz you pay taxes/SSN etc.
If it is really important for your situation Please go ahaed and claim the benefit.

Will they revoke GC

My GC was based on employment. If I claim unemployment and they (either INS or labor dept) found that I was terminated with in 2-3 weeks of getting GC approval after interview, are there chances of INS revoking GC as the intent to hire permanently will then be considered as violated.

I don't think so

BCIS already have huge backlog do you think they have time for this.... :)

Don't worry, go for it.

my .02 cents

If i were you, i will not claim unemployment insurance within 6 months of getting GC (it might be OK after 6 months because it may be a reasonable time for some one might be laid off by the GC sponsor). Just to be on the safer side.

Last year one of my friend got his approval on July 4th and got lay off on July 6th with a 1 month notice (he was basically on payroll until Aug 6th). He has applied for unemployment starting from Aug 7th. Ofcourse he got a job in Nov 02. He claimed UI for 3 months as per his attorney's advice.