Can I change my address with N400 pending

gita1974

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
My husband and I have applied for our citizenship. Fingerprinting is over and we are waiting for our Interview letter. We might have to move within the same DO to a different address. How good is INS about updating the address.
Will our interview letters get lost in the mail ?
Any past experiences in this regard is greatly appreciated.
thanks
Gita

All you need to do is file an AR-11 application. If I am not mistaken, though not 100% sure, this can also be done over the phone.

You should probably also keep an eye on your case status on the web site.

When it disappears from the web site, your case has likely been forwarded to the District Office. Once it happens, schedule an InfoPass appointment, bringing a copy of your AR-11 (along with the delivery confirmation (send it certified mail with delivery confirmation)) and make sure they know where you live.

They've been known to mess things up before :)

takadigi said:
All you need to do is file an AR-11 application. If I am not mistaken, though not 100% sure, this can also be done over the phone.
-------------- one need to file form AR11 but it does NOT change the address on pending petitions with USCIS.

Follow the advice of Flydog

The only way (that I know of) to communicate with a USCIS district office is via "InfoPass". You go to their web site and schedule an appointment.

You can also just show up, but you may wait all day and never get to talk to anyone. InfoPass is reliable.

Flydog, I am on the same boat as gita1974. I am moving but will stay in the same DO. I know I need to file AR-11 using UPS for tracking and my case is still online. I'm trying to call INS Customer Service (800) 375-5283 but cant seem to navigate to the option where I can speak to someone to have my address changed. Is filing AR-11 the only thing I need to get INS to change my address for an existing N400 app?

Address Change

You MUST call toll free USCIS phone while N400 application is pending. AR11 filing does not update the address automatically. We changed our address during the process. We called the toll free USCIS phone number and updated the address. We received our interview letter at the new address. They say the address change might take upto 30 days. However, the address is updated typically within 2 weeks.

Use AR11

gita1974 said:
Hi,
My husband and I have applied for our citizenship. Fingerprinting is over and we are waiting for our Interview letter. We might have to move within the same DO to a different address. How good is INS about updating the address.
Will our interview letters get lost in the mail ?
Any past experiences in this regard is greatly appreciated.
thanks
Gita

Gita,

make sure you send it via a certified mail as suggested by other members in the forum. Moreover, when you go to the post office, there is a green postcard (domestic return receipt) which you can attach to the letter which you send to the USCIS office informing them of your new address. When USCIS receives this letter, they will stamp the domestic return receipt with their DHS or USCIS stamp, and USPS send it back to your new address. This is powerful because should USCIS claim you never changed your address, then you produce the stamped domestic return receipt and take away any power from them.

http://infopass.uscis.gov/ Use this link to schedule an info pass. I will not advise you to show up at the USCIS local office with the hope to talking to someone, hence they have an info pass, to ensure that the DO has a staff member to talk to you, and to ensure that it is trackable. For example, if you show up and talk to officer X, but later in the process, Officer X gave you wrong information, how do you prove to USCIS that you met officer X? Infopass is one way to cover your backside....

For changing the address when petition is pending with INS , you
need to call 800 # and also file AR-11

We did the same couple of months ago and our address was
updated and our process got completed with no delays.

One other thing which we did at the same time is to
try "Premium forwarding" from USPS . Permium forwarding
costs 10$ a week (somewhat expensive ..but worthit)
With premium forwarding , USPS will forward even
the mails marked for "Return Service".