Can I change job when I got my greencard and My wife's is not?

asadullahg

Registered Users (C)
Can I change job when I already got my greencard and My wife has not?

when my last employer applied for my GC, i was not married. But when I got married, my I485 was pending and the lawyer said I could add my wife when my process becomes current. Then in the middle i switched company with the promise that the new company will apply for GC in EB-2 which would be faster process. My new company filed for PERM and it went in to Audit, so it is still pending. But then my prev employer's process (that I thought they revoked, but they didnt) became current and I got my GC. the current company lawyer saying it is still possible to add my wife to the process and they are going to do that. and it should take about 6-9 months for her to get it.

here are the questions:

1. Now that I got my green card, do I still need to be in the same position for another 6 months? Can I not change company or position? Will the change invalidate my GC?

2. If I switch position, meaning change in title (new job, or get laid off, or moved to different company) with my green card, will it affect my wifes application once her GC application is filed?

3. Do i need to be in the same company in the same position until she gets her GC?

4. I am on my GC now, what is her status currently?

Last edited by a moderator:
At this stage it is advisable to stick to employer A thru whom your I-485 is approved until at least 6-12 months after your I-485 is approved, again you are also covered under AC21 portability clause for switching employers. I would suggest file your wife's I-485 ASAP. Technically your case moves from employment based to family based for your wife BUT grace period is allowed for filing for derivative spouse's after principal applicant's I-485 is approved.

But I already changed company A and moved to company B last year

But I already moved from comapany A to B last year and and H1B was transferred. WHen I changed my I485 was pending for more than 3 years. Company A said they would revoke my process but they never did. Company B reapplied for my GC in EB-2 and it was at PERM stage when Perm got in to Audit. then I got notification saying my GC was in production. Now I already have the GC in my hand and company B is applying for my wife. What would happen if I change job or lose job? Will by GC be invalidated?

At this stage it is advisable to stick to employer A thru whom your I-485 is approved until at least 6-12 months after your I-485 is approved, again you are also covered under AC21 portability clause for switching employers. I would suggest file your wife's I-485 ASAP. Technically your case moves from employment based to family based for your wife BUT grace period is allowed for filing for derivative spouse's after principal applicant's I-485 is approved.

If you got married before you got your GC, your priority date remains current and your wife entered the US and is still legally present, she can immediately file an I-485 based on Follow to Join.