can I apply for naturalization when I'm abroad if I have approved N470?

bao_bao0607

I have approved N470,I'm working overseas, and I have met the requirement of naturalization of consistent living in US for 5 years.May I file N400 form aboard? or I have to come back to US and stay here for a while? does anybody know?
thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, I got my citizenship a week ago. I applied from abroad with an approved N-470. My interview and oath were on the same day at the San Francisco USCIS office. Mine was an administrative oath in front of a USCIS official in his office.

Bottom line:

1. If you have an approved N-470, and have accumulated the required physical residence, you CAN apply from abroad.
2. When applying, you can submit fingerprints on the FBI FD-258 cards and save a trip to the US for biometrics. I did not do this myself as I was not aware this was possible.
3. The 90-day residence requirement is NOT for the 90 days immediately preceding the filing of the N-400. Basically, you should have resided in that district for that period at SOME time in the past.
4. USCIS takes the view that an approved N-470 preserves BOTH continuous residence in general AND residence in the last district you lived in before leaving the US. What this simply means is that with an approved 470, USCIS will consider you to be residing in that last district for ALL the time you are abroad right up to the interview and oath.

I have approved N470,I'm working overseas, and I have met the requirement of naturalization of consistent living in US for 5 years.May I file N400 form aboard? or I have to come back to US and stay here for a while? does anybody know?
thanks !