Can I apply for medicaid for my wife?

ppp123

I get my I485 approved and passport stamped but laied off soon, now my wife is preganant,I am considering stop paying the the medical insurance (COBRA)and applying medicaid for my wife unitl she give birth to child, but i don\'t know what will be the side effect, some one told me that she will have trouble when she leave the states and coming back, i don\'t know why,can anyone give more input on this and i will really apprecaite.

to be eligible for medicaid...

Most states use the same standard for supplemental social security income. please check http://www.ssa.gov

I think one needs to be a US citizen or national, or have earned 40 working credits and meet the income limit to qualify. There are some provisions regarding disabled persons, but unfortunately pregancy is not considered as "disability" for this purpose.

There are a lot of states which offer "need-based" medical assistance. For example NY offers emergency hospital care for aliens. This is probably your best chance. You can get more information from your state\'s health or human services depts. Getting "need-based" assistance, as long as it is legally obtained (you did not false any information), will not jepordize your re-entry or naturalization. Please check www.ins.usdoj.gov under the "FAQs - public charge".

If your wife could get simple, maybe not-so-well-paid job, it could be good solution

of the problem. There are some jobs out there (which are relatively easy to get), like associate at retail store, with very nice benefits including medical insurance.

Besides, you\'ll need insurance for the child anyway. Perhaps, even more than for your pregnant wife.

ppp123, there is no reply...

Did I suggest something unacceptable in the light of your country customs or religious beliefs (woman working in tough situation like this one)?

My apology then.