Can I apply for Citizenship ahead of time?

sram1969

Registered Users (C)
My husband got his GC in Sept 2007, although I filed as his dependent my GC was approved only in Dec 2008. Now my husband will be applying for citizenship in July 2012. Can I send my citizenship application along with him? Or do I have to wait until Oct 2013?
Is there any way I can get my citizenship before May 2013? Please let me know! Thanks so much for your time in advance.

There are limited circumstances under which you can apply before Oct. 2013.

You can join the US military, which would make you eligible to apply instantly if they send you into active duty, or if you don't serve in active duty you'd be eligible to apply after 1 year of service.

If your husband becomes a USC and is sent abroad for at least a year to work for the US government (including the military), or a US company, or certain recognized international organizations (e.g. IMF, WHO, UN) and you go abroad to accompany him, you might be able to qualify for expedited citizenship under section 319(b), depending on all the facts of your situation.

If you have at least one US citizen parent who was a USC when you were born, you might be eligible for citizenship through them, depending on all the relevant facts.

My husband got his GC in Sept 2007, although I filed as his dependent my GC was approved only in Dec 2008. Now my husband will be applying for citizenship in July 2012. Can I send my citizenship application along with him? Or do I have to wait until Oct 2013?
Is there any way I can get my citizenship before May 2013? Please let me know! Thanks so much for your time in advance.

No: to filing with him.

In order to file as the spouse of a USC under the 3 year rule you would have to wait until 3 years after he naturalizes (sometime in 2015).

You did not indicate that you would qualify under any of the items that Jackolantern mentioned.

Thanks for your reply.

No. I do not qualify under any of the items that Jackolantern mentioned.

Would you/Jackolantern advice that I hire a lawyer? Would he know more legal ways/information on getting my citizenship earlier?

Thanks again!

Thanks for your reply.

Would you/Jackolantern advice that I hire a lawyer? Would he know more legal ways/information on getting my citizenship earlier?

Thanks again!

From what you have revealed, you could hire an attorney to legally drain your bank account to tell you the same information you can get for free (such as the info you got here already).

Thanks for your reply.

See this page: http://www.americanlaw.com/citnat.html
Scroll down to the end for the "Other Special Groups" section, where they list some uncommon routes to qualify for citizenship. If you don't fit any of those, there's nothing else a lawyer can find that would make you eligible to apply for citizenship before Oct 2013.