Can H1 be stamped in Canada

NeedHelpForGC

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,

We are right now in U.S and my wife just got her H1-b approved but her start date for job is in oct so no pay checks yet. We have to go to canada before oct and my question is that will she get her H1 stamped from canada(this is her first H1) without any pay stubs as her job has not yet started or is it risky to do the stamping now?

Thanks in advance

We are right now in U.S and my wife just got her H1-b approved but her start date for job is in oct so no pay checks yet. We have to go to canada before oct and my question is that will she get her H1 stamped from canada(this is her first H1) without any pay stubs as her job has not yet started or is it risky to do the stamping now?

If you do not have a PR status in Canada, you will not be able to get H1 stamp (or any US visa stamp) in Canada.

NeedHelpForGC said:
Hello all,

Thanks in advance

You can get it stamped whether or not you are Canadian PR . Its very easy to do if visa category is same "or" if your wife has studied from US University and was on F1

If none of the above is true in your case , you are taking chances - consular might refuse.

Many students go to Vancouver ( Canada ) and Tijuana ( Mexico ) and get their new H1B stamped which are mostly conversions form F1.

In these posts somewhere , you 'll find people completing landing and H1B stamping in single shot. I got my H1 renewed at Vancouver with no issues . In fact , You 'll be charged $50 less/ person which is Reciprocity fee , if you can prove you have Canadian immigrant status.

As far as earliest stamping date is concerned , some one has posted following which will be useful for you

Have a look at points 5 and 6 in
http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/t...grams_1397.html .

My interpretation: Ordinarily you cannot apply more than 10 days before your start date. This was relaxed for FY2005 for consulates that expected a rush. Which means, each consulate can choose whether to exercise that option or not. I had emailed the consulate in Mumbai and they told me that they accept H1 applications in advance (no earliest date specified). My guess is that it would be the same for other consulates in India. To be sure confirm with the consulate you are going to.

You can get it stamped whether or not you are Canadian PR .

Confirm this by calling the appt/reservation people. Because in the past, they used to deny visas to people who are not cdn residents (landed immigrants)and used to ask them to apply for visas in their home country.

bigboy00 said:
You can get it stamped whether or not you are Canadian PR .

Confirm this by calling the appt/reservation people. Because in the past, they used to deny visas to people who are not cdn residents (landed immigrants)and used to ask them to apply for visas in their home country.

Not any more . they stopped and created problems after 9/11 . but its quite simple these days. Only last month two of my colleagues got it stamped at vancouver consulate - but these were cases of same category and extensions ( h1b)

How risky is this in my situation?

1) We are going to Canada for Landing as a PR and the expory date for it is in nov that is why we have to go there before nov

2) My wife completed her masters from US but she did it while on h4 and not on f1, but I am on H1 and will be getting stamped for my H1

So how risky is it getting stamped in canada with this situation.

Thanks for all the helpful responses.

Last edited by a moderator:
NeedHelpForGC said:
1) We are going to Canada for Landing as a PR and the expory date for it is in nov that is why we have to go there before nov

2) My wife completed her masters from US but she did it while on h4 and not on f1, but I am on H1 and will be getting stamped for my H1

So how risky is it getting stamped in canada with this situation.

Thanks for all the helpful responses.

It may not be all that risky if she has proper documentation of her education from US University.

http://www.amcits.com/usa_visa.asp

check this web page which is available on us consulate vancouver web site and read required documents for H1B

calling them up and finding out may help you more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest to take the appointment ASAP...

air_canada said:
It may not be all that risky if she has proper documentation of her education from US University.

http://www.amcits.com/usa_visa.asp

check this web page which is available on us consulate vancouver web site and read required documents for H1B

calling them up and finding out may help you more.

I suggest to take the appointment ASAP..., otherwise you don't get appointment when you land. Do not worry and take all the required papers.

Good luck!!!