Can asylum got sponsored for green card from job or married?

kenryu

Registered Users (C)
hi Everyone;
I'm wondering if it's allowed or possible or even legal for asylum who has submit I-485 to get sponsored for green card from job or married? or in other word is it possible or legal to have more than one I-485? will it slow my I-485 application? or will it has any effect on my current I-485?. My I-485 is submitted on August 2000. Anyone has any experience with this ? Please reply. I'm just finger printed in last june, but worry that my I-485 is denied for any reason (what is the chances for asylee to get the I-485 denied for some reason?). I don't have any criminal background or whatsover, probably just speeding tickets. I just want to have some backup plan through sponsor from my company or married with somebody who can sponsor me. Anybody especially somebody who has experience with this, please reply.

kenryu said:
hi Everyone;
I'm wondering if it's allowed or possible or even legal for asylum who has submit I-485 to get sponsored for green card from job or married? or in other word is it possible or legal to have more than one I-485? will it slow my I-485 application? or will it has any effect on my current I-485?. My I-485 is submitted on August 2000. Anyone has any experience with this ? Please reply. I'm just finger printed in last june, but worry that my I-485 is denied for any reason (what is the chances for asylee to get the I-485 denied for some reason?). I don't have any criminal background or whatsover, probably just speeding tickets. I just want to have some backup plan through sponsor from my company or married with somebody who can sponsor me. Anybody especially somebody who has experience with this, please reply.
Yuo can not have both at the same time. You have to withdraw one and start another. my advice. keep things as they are. You will wait no longer than 2 years and that is the same amount of time you will have to wait if you are doing an employment based green card. If you will marry an American citizen, this will be the shortest waiting time

is it?

Thank's for the reply.
I read some of the posting before that it's possible. Do you have any friend or anybody who has the same experience? or is it mentioned in the law somewhere? how do you know.

Yes, you can have more than one I-485

Kenryu,

You can have more than one I-485 pending at USCIS. It is taking a lot longer this days if you have to do Labor certification. If your profession is one of the priviledged such as nursing, it will be faster. I currently have one pending through work and will soon be filing through my wife (derivative asylee). I would have filed if I had got DV also. I would consult a lawyer if you want to be definite as my advice is based on experience unlike the quack Shamson who is dispensing an opinion disguised as knowledge.

Shamson,

I would advise you to refrain from talking about things that you don't know. People might take what you say seriously.

snowbrd

snowbrd said:
Kenryu,

You can have more than one I-485 pending at USCIS. It is taking a lot longer this days if you have to do Labor certification. If your profession is one of the priviledged such as nursing, it will be faster. I currently have one pending through work and will soon be filing through my wife (derivative asylee). I would have filed if I had got DV also. I would consult a lawyer if you want to be definite as my advice is based on experience unlike the quack Shamson who is dispensing an opinion disguised as knowledge.

Shamson,

I would advise you to refrain from talking about things that you don't know. People might take what you say seriously.

snowbrd
Quack shamson?
your mother did a good job raising you. Jerk! If Gilbert was here, he would strongly discourage people from applying for 2 I-485 simultaneously. email gilbert at asyleelaw@netscape.com and ask him and do not listen to this jerk

snowbrd said:
Kenryu,

Shamson,

snowbrd
Priviledged? Is that English?Stop watching Bush speeches!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You can file multiple applications.

Kenyru,

Please refer to the following link.

Here is the relevant portion.

Chat User : Hi, Sheela. Is it possible for a person to change his status from family-based green card to employment-based?

Attorney Murthy : A person is always able to file as many applications or petitions as s/he wishes and can afford. It is not clear what scenario you are referring to, but if a new petition or application has to be filed, it should be doable. Sometimes, one may have to file a new petition and may not be able to take advantage of a previously-filed case between FB and EB categories.

Shamson,

This is forum is only for grown-ups. I stand by what I said. You are not knowledgable and hence you are a quack. Don't mislead people- Just like bush did. An opinion without knowledge is ignorance.
BTW, you have been making typo's left and right.

kids, get a hold of yourself. No need for name calling.

As for the original poster:
- A good amount of 'advice' you can get on internet BB's is incorrect.
- ALL advice the goverment will give you is incorrect.

Get a consultation with a good lawyer, someone who does employment, family and asylum cases. The following (just as the posts from all previous posters) is my personal opinion and not based on personal experience:

From what I understand, you can have different 485s pending, they just can't be in the same visa class BUT:
Lets say you get your asylum or family based petition approved, and your employment based one gets denied, the denial can have a negative impact on your ability to adjust status. In other words, once you have one petition approved, you have to make sure that all others are either withdrawn or watertight to get approved.
If your asylum based 485 gets denied, it will most likely be related to an issue that is related to your person. Now, that factor wouldn't be any different in an employment based case and it might not help you to have an alternate petition to bank on.
Getting a labor cert for your current job might be a good idea. It has nothing to do with INS and would enable you to file another case on short notice if necessary.

snowbrd said:
Kenyru,

Please refer to the following link.

Here is the relevant portion.

Chat User : Hi, Sheela. Is it possible for a person to change his status from family-based green card to employment-based?

Attorney Murthy : A person is always able to file as many applications or petitions as s/he wishes and can afford. It is not clear what scenario you are referring to, but if a new petition or application has to be filed, it should be doable. Sometimes, one may have to file a new petition and may not be able to take advantage of a previously-filed case between FB and EB categories.

Shamson,

This is forum is only for grown-ups. I stand by what I said. You are not knowledgable and hence you are a quack. Don't mislead people- Just like bush did. An opinion without knowledge is ignorance.
BTW, you have been making typo's left and right.
You are being an idiot again. You were not specific in your question and you confused her. Read your question again and you will discover your lack of clarity in your question. You embarrassed yourself when she said it is not clear what you asked. Again, I wish Gilbert was still in the forum to back me up on this issue. He is the one who advised not to apply to more than one I-485 applications at the same time. Even if I misunderstood him I have posted more than 500 posts in this forum and I constantly get private messages from people who seek my advice. You did not need to show how a low life you are by personally attacking me. Go get some education before you throw charges at people. "Privilidged" is not a typo; when people write it this way it reflects their ignorance. BTW you should write typos not typo's. Hopeless case! However, I wont argue with you as long as you agree that Bush misled the nation.

hadron said:
BUT:
Lets say you get your asylum or family based petition approved, and your employment based one gets denied, the denial can have a negative impact on your ability to adjust status. In other words, once you have one petition approved, you have to make sure that all others are either withdrawn or watertight to get approved.
If your asylum based 485 gets denied, it will most likely be related to an issue that is related to your person. Now, that factor wouldn't be any different in an employment based case and it might not help you to have an alternate petition to bank on.
Getting a labor cert for your current job might be a good idea. It has nothing to do with INS and would enable you to file another case on short notice if necessary.

Exactly, that is why I believe Gilbert warned against having multiple I-485

Precision

Earlier you insisted that you CAN't have more than one I485 pending at the same time. I have heard different things about that question, and from what I understand it is legal to do so but not necessarily ADVISABLE.

> Even if I misunderstood him I have posted more than 500
> posts in this forum and I constantly get private messages
> from people who seek my advice.

That doesn't necessarily make you an expert. There are probably stacks of case-law and AAO decisions on this issue. A good attorney (not your usual immigration quack) would be able to research these in the respective (pricey subscription) legal databases and give you an informed opinion on that question.

I am not an attorney, everything I say here is either 'family experience', recollection from conversations with my attorney or stuff I came accross on the net.

hadron said:
Earlier you insisted that you CAN't have more than one I485 pending at the same time. I have heard different things about that question, and from what I understand it is legal to do so but not necessarily ADVISABLE.

> Even if I misunderstood him I have posted more than 500
> posts in this forum and I constantly get private messages
> from people who seek my advice.

That doesn't necessarily make you an expert. There are probably stacks of case-law and AAO decisions on this issue. A good attorney (not your usual immigration quack) would be able to research these in the respective (pricey subscription) legal databases and give you an informed opinion on that question.

I am not an attorney, everything I say here is either 'family experience', recollection from conversations with my attorney or stuff I came accross on the net.
Did i say i am an expert? If i was an expert, i would not have mentioned Gilbert. I have been also basing my assertions on my experiences of 12 years with the immigration. I do not know why do you have to use that word again to describe me.