Can Asylee with green card open a business?

kenryu

Registered Users (C)
hi All;

I already got my Green Card last year. I'm wondering if it's legal or allowed to open my own business (LLC, S Corporation, C corporation, etc), either brick and mortar or online business for asylee that has Green Card already??. Anybody ever consult with immigration lawyer or has any experience about this? Please reply . Is there any different with citizen or other green card holder in tax, or anything if I open new business? Thanks.

I don't think there is any problem opening a business. i don't have a green card yet, but i opened my business over a year ago. The business will be taxed just like any other.

kenryu said:
hi All;

I already got my Green Card last year. I'm wondering if it's legal or allowed to open my own business (LLC, S Corporation, C corporation, etc), either brick and mortar or online business for asylee that has Green Card already??. Anybody ever consult with immigration lawyer or has any experience about this? Please reply . Is there any different with citizen or other green card holder in tax, or anything if I open new business? Thanks.

Absolutely--even asylees can do LLC or C corps (and definitely DBA)

http://www.activefilings.com/activenews/dec2001.htm
http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/0,4621,288849,00.html

Slightly contradictory information about S corporations. I've been told by a lawyer that non-citizens cant own shares in S corporations, and the 2nd link agrees to that.

Just dont fall into the NV or DE corp trap--form it in your own state

Good luck

Floyd

kenryu said:
hi All;

it is definitely legal. I'm a business owner for over two years in three different states. You will fill up taxes and documents like any other business in USA. Just make sure you hire a good accountant, never try any thrick with IRS, get all your license and insurance and you'll be o.k.
I hope this will help you a bit. :cool:

floyd said:
Absolutely--even asylees can do LLC or C corps (and definitely DBA)

http://www.activefilings.com/activenews/dec2001.htm
http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/0,4621,288849,00.html

Slightly contradictory information about S corporations. I've been told by a lawyer that non-citizens cant own shares in S corporations, and the 2nd link agrees to that.

Just dont fall into the NV or DE corp trap--form it in your own state

Good luck

Floyd
hi, floyd
i'm a business owner of S Corporation and have shares with my wife.
we were review by the kansas, florida and arizona state in order to be aprove as an S Corporation. Also we filled all documents with an accountant-lawyer
office to make sure everything was o.k.
in my case no any problem about open a S Corporation. :)

masylee said:
hi, floyd
i'm a business owner of S Corporation and have shares with my wife.
we were review by the kansas, florida and arizona state in order to be aprove as an S Corporation. Also we filled all documents with an accountant-lawyer
office to make sure everything was o.k.
in my case no any problem about open a S Corporation. :)

Excellent. In my case I went with a LLC but next time I will talk to a different lawyer. :)

floyd said:
Excellent. In my case I went with a LLC but next time I will talk to a different lawyer. :)
Yes! Floyd.... Asylees can even open S-Corporations.... U must be a resident alien (not necessarily Permanent resident) to open a S- Corp. I had opened S-corporation two years ago when I was an asylee.

You can search defination of 'resident alien' on IRS web site.

kenryu said:
hi All;

Of course, man. think of yourself as of an American now! (sort of, anyway)
I co-own biz too (S Corp). Don't know much about the details, we hired a lawyer to do the paperwork.
Definitely yes!

Thank's guy you're the best

Thank's for all the responses. I just want to make sure I don't break any law..:)
ok so I can open up LLC, C, S corporation. Is there any special things (like different form to fill in , tax, etc) for asylee who has green card? I assume not but I will ask anyway..:) Please anybody let me know. Thanks.