Can anyone help me about getting a DL NJ?

mARLBOROnj

Registered Users (C)
Hello....

I am just curious as to how I should go about getting my license... I read about the whole 3 option thing upon getting your license here in NJ.

I am over 21, in fact over 25. One option that I can take is what they call: "The adult road" program which means I basically have to pass the knowledge test and everything then I would be issued a learner's permit that I need to keep for atleast three months. After three months, then I can take the road test and get the license.

Since I am over 21, do I really have to go through the whole three month phase?

I also have in my possesion a foreign license which I requested to be sent to me by a relative since I would always use my passport to get in to clubs and stuff. I used to drive in my country with a license but I never brought the license with me and that is why I tried to get sent one here to me. I recieved it and ever since then I have been using it instead of my passport to get in to certain places where an ID is required. By the way it is expired already.

Somewhere on the MVC website for NJ stated that if I have a foreign license, I can show it to prove that I am an experienced driver and that it would wave off the road test and be issued a license after taking the knowledge test.

Has anyone ever tried this?

I just do not want to have to wait three months before i can drive on my own because I really do need to find a job as soon as i possibly can.

Any suggestions or comments would be helpful...Thanks in advance!

I have heard from others, that if you have a foreign drivers license from certain countries, all you have to do is pass the written test. Every state is different, but this is pretty common practice. Some people have even used their foreign license here.

Depends on the state. Just go down to the DMV and bring the license and find out.

Ken27 said:
I have heard from others, that if you have a foreign drivers license from certain countries, all you have to do is pass the written test. Every state is different, but this is pretty common practice. Some people have even used their foreign license here.

Depends on the state. Just go down to the DMV and bring the license and find out.

is this in anyway illegal? coz if it is i do not wanna risk anything that will jeopordize anything at all...

Marlboronj, Go to your DMV. Nobody can tell you a precise answer if they are not from your area or know exactly the rules of your state. You can even can call if you don't want to go all the way there.

What ken said is totally legal and valid in many states but as he says depends in every state.

Hi from NJ lol.

Go into DMV with your 6 points of ID. Typically your foreign license will get you a pass on the road test ( of which you should pass if you take it anyway, no?).

Pass the vision test (a joke) and the written you need I think it's 43 of 50 correct to pass. Go get the book and read it 3 times before you test, you'll pass.

Bring passport, EAD, SS card, any mail from USCIS, and you have your 6 points of ID.