Can a person on TN can start his own company?

kite2020

Registered Users (C)
Can a person on TN start his own company? I am working for company A on TN and see business opportunity.

If I start company B will it impact my future visa TN/H1B.

I understand can not get salary from my own company B and can not get TN/H1B visa for my own company. I can get only dividend from company B.

You can not actively work for ANYONE without another TN. The issue is not pay, it is illegal work. You can only own shares in a company, and be a silent partner, at best.

You can of course get clients, but each of these would need to get you a TN. Then this is not self-sponsorship, but merely how you are paid.

... which will violate one's TN. Can you believe the silly answers this girl gives?

I can easily get contract to supply contract staff to my client. So contractors will work for the client under contract sign with my future company. I am concerned only it should not jeopardized my future visa. Just wondering how immigration will come to know that a person started company while in USA on TN1 or H1b.

USA should be happy if someone while working in USA invest, buy property, start business and create jobs instead export $ out of USA.

You are on a TN. Thus you can only work in TN, not B-1, not E-2, nor any other. Your description of what you intend is not sufficiently passive.

So, either quit your TN job and apply for investor visa -- that is what will make them "happy", or try and get a Green card thru your TN. But yopu can't keep TN and do what you are proposing.